Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help with Getting Section up to speed Emperor Concerto  (Read 844 times)

Offline thepianolad

• PS Silver Member
Help with Getting Section up to speed Emperor Concerto
on: December 22, 2021, 01:53:27 AM
Hi, I am having some trouble getting this section up to speed which is shown in the video bellow:

It's about 2:49 - 2:51 .
 It's only very short and I can get the rest of the piece to the required pace relatively easily it's just this part is really messing with my mind when I try to speed it up. The issue is the bottom b natural in the right hand is played at every quaver beat while the rest of the notes are played as if they are in threes (though still written as normal semiquavers). Are there any tips on how to increase speed in this section? Thanks.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with Getting Section up to speed Emperor Concerto
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 10:38:33 PM
Like with any technical problem, it's unfortunately an issue of relaxation and working patiently to develop the needed coordination. If your thumb is tense at all, or any other finger for that matter, or your wrist, while trying to play passages such as this one, you'll likely not succeed. You need relaxation and patience if its not already working for you. Certain patterns cannot be forced through any other means. But practicing with rhythms might help, as long as you focus on relaxation while doing so.

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 07:54:39 AM
The way you describe your issue (which you do in a strange fashion; few people use the word "quaver" outside of Music Theory 101, and aren't those semiquavers?) with the fragment is that its basic syncopation is some big difficulty.  You play the entire Emperor Concerto and this John Thompson-on-day-1-level syncopation is a problem for you?  Also, you didn't even provide your fingering.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 06:59:45 PM
I can see how somebody could struggle with that pattern. Some seemingly simple patterns can be difficult if you haven't figured it out. Let's not roast OP but let them come back with some more input, their fingering etc.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert