Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 16 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by sixteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: demonic virtuosi  (Read 1788 times)

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
demonic virtuosi
on: February 10, 2005, 11:08:28 PM
i love the idea of pianists of the past playing so DEMONICALLY that audiences literally thought they were posessed by a demon

but is this a quality we have in modern pianists?
and is it possible to convey a sense of 'demonicness'?

how does one attain this demonic edge - if its at all possible, or is it innate?

and which pieces and performance that youve heard fit this description to you?
love,peace,hope,fresh coconuts

Offline abe

• PS Silver Member
Re: demonic virtuosi
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 01:54:33 AM
You mean the demon stories relating to such performers as Liszt and Paganini? Well, if anything, nowadays we have more virtuosos similar to the previous two mentioned in terms of amazing, prodigious, faustian technique; but society has become much more secular and skeptical and "knowledgeable" to beleive in such stories.
--Abe

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 01:57:57 AM
yes i realise this, but i think this is in fact a bit of a shame

the more one knows...the more one's fantasy is stifled

Offline Carl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:13:46 AM
your fantasy must be boundless  ;D

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:56:51 AM

hey carl, wanna go for a beer down at moe's tavern?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 06:54:58 PM
i love the idea of pianists of the past playing so DEMONICALLY that audiences literally thought they were posessed by a demon

the point being...

but is this a quality we have in modern pianists?

question is, is this a quality?

and is it possible to convey a sense of 'demonicness'?

yes it is, but i wouldn't waste my time with this.

how does one attain this demonic edge - if its at all possible, or is it innate?
and which pieces and performance that youve heard fit this description to you?

suggestion diabolique (as example). anyway, same as with any work: it's never enough to play a certain way, you also have to be a certain way in order to play a certain work. you just get in the mood - same as actors do.

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 07:40:48 PM
I thought this thread would be about this:

https://www.riprense.com/Chopin.htm

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:04:44 AM

the point being...

question is, is this a quality?

yes it is, but i wouldn't waste my time with this.

suggestion diabolique (as example). anyway, same as with any work: it's never enough to play a certain way, you also have to be a certain way in order to play a certain work. you just get in the mood - same as actors do.

you dont think its a good thing/quality?

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 01:21:08 AM
i think my point in another post is not so much that virtuosos are all demon posessed, but that we have a choice as to how much of a composer's persona we will take on.  van gogh, schuman, and several others went mad at the end of their lives.  i think they let another spirit take over.  it was a choice they made but could not back out of.  sometimes, i realize, poverty and other things make a person have less physical health and stamina and succumb to 'demons.'  there is also moderation that causes us to have less attraction ONLY to virtuosity (taking more time to get there - sometimes because of it).

i happened to turn on the tv the other night and a famous las vegas magician was showing his magic.  when you are very very good at something, to others who don't understand - it could be conceived as paranormal - yet i do feel a spirit to my playing when i commit it to God.  am wondering if when a person actually commits themselves to another "god" that they are under an influence that gives them a trade of soul for gift.  i would rather have my soul.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert