Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Need help recognizing/identifying piece of classical music  (Read 859 times)

Offline cporter

• PS Silver Member
When I was younger, I played this wonderful classical piano solo that had a very loud and fast beginning. But for the life of me I cannot remember what it's called or who composed it. I figured the experts in this forum might be able to listen to my (probably very flawed) recall of the beginning of the song and help me identify the piece. I know the right hand begins playing octaves while the left hand does a bit more movement. I included an audio recording of what I believe the right hand sounds like at the beginning of the piece. Thank you for any and all guesses!! 

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Re: Need help recognizing/identifying piece of classical music
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 08:46:43 PM
Is that the theme from the actual opening, or that's the main theme?  Sounds like a Brahms piece, trying to remember which.  One of the Op. 116 or maybe from the Sonata 2?  It's on the tip of my tongue...  Or maybe it was Schumann.  I think it might have been in F Minor because my brain keeps trying to meld it with the Schumann Sonata No. 3 1st movement.

It has a sort of 'fugato' flavor, right?  And after the theme you played, there is a sort of active chorded passage followed by some huge, thundering chords right?

EDIT:

Offline cporter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:53 PM
Oh my goodness, that Youtube clip you added is the EXACT piece! You are a genius and I am so so grateful!!

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:28:19 AM
Oh my goodness, that Youtube clip you added is the EXACT piece! You are a genius and I am so so grateful!!

naw I never would have remembered, I haven't listened to this piece in probably 10 years.  I asked on another forum haha  I was stuck in Brahms/Schumann.

Like, in my brain I could 'play back' a good couple minutes of this piece (tho I forgot the tiny intro section and started at the octaves still on the 1st page, hence 'fugato'-'active chords'-'big chords') but I was making zero progress on what it was from.  I'm really terrible at this sort of thing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert