Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano arrangement of a bolivian folk song  (Read 388 times)

Offline klaviertraum

• PS Silver Member
Piano arrangement of a bolivian folk song
on: February 03, 2022, 05:39:53 PM
Hi Piano-street community,

I have been experimenting doing some arrangements for piano and this is the first one I managed to transcribe into a music score. It is a folk song which interestingly starts in a major key and ends in a minor tonality. My playing changes every time I play it and never fits exactly the score but this is the main idea.

Any feedback for improvement will be greatly appreciated

KT

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano arrangement of a bolivian folk song
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 02:53:02 PM
No offense, but you need to work on your notational skills. No one wants to see 5 bloody ledger lines in the bass clef, and having things like a G, then a G flat then a G natural in a row is a lot more confusing than changing that G flat to an F sharp.

Also - in 6/8 time signature, it would be far more pleasing to the player to see Duplets instead of dotted quavers. There's also a bit of work that could be done to clean up the score if you really cared about it.

The music is nice however, and pleasant to listen to - a tad heavy on the arpeggiations though - but if people can't read it clearly and simply, they might be hesitant to play it.

Keep that in mind.

Offline klaviertraum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:06 PM
No offense, but you need to work on your notational skills. No one wants to see 5 bloody ledger lines in the bass clef, and having things like a G, then a G flat then a G natural in a row is a lot more confusing than changing that G flat to an F sharp.

:D :D, Thank you so much perfect_pitch, this is the feedback I was looking for. I did not realize about the G-Gflat-G thing, it makes me smile. Indeed, there must be a lot of work to be done on the score but as I have no formal training it is hard to me to know where the problems/notational errors are. Your feedback is great already for me to start cleaning and keep looking for more notational errors. Please do not hesitate to let me know where else to look/work and, no ofense taken, on the contrary I really appreciate your feedback.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 12:45:14 AM
What scoring file do you use? It doesn't look like Sibelius... If you give me a copy of something, I can try and put some red markings in to help clean it help to show you what most arrangers would do.

PM if you're looking for ideas. Saving as a midi gets rid of all the voicing, XML usually saves most of it, but if you have a PDF, I can use Forescore to notate some pointers.

Offline klaviertraum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 10:13:28 AM
What scoring file do you use? It doesn't look like Sibelius... If you give me a copy of something, I can try and put some red markings in to help clean it help to show you what most arrangers would do.

PM if you're looking for ideas. Saving as a midi gets rid of all the voicing, XML usually saves most of it, but if you have a PDF, I can use Forescore to notate some pointers.

That is very kind of you!. The pdf is attached, thanks a million, I'm looking forward to it
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert