Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: big disappointment...  (Read 1817 times)

Offline xenia

• PS Silver Member
big disappointment...
on: April 15, 2003, 03:50:58 PM

:'(

My best pupil,Milena(15 years old), failured on Republic competition.But she played sooo good!Commission gave her only 61 marks.Crazy!I'm so angry!We worked so hard,she played two recitals before competition to prepare herself.Our competition are so injustice.I know that,but I hoped...she is  virtuoso and so melodious .
Do your competitions are right?

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: big disappointment...
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 10:16:15 PM
The judging at competitions and in examinations can be highly subjective and it is part of our life's journey that we encounter disappointment  as well as success along the way.  You and your student  both know in your hearts how good the performance was and you do not need the external trappings of approval to convince you of that.
Move forward from this and look towards the next challenge.  Your student is very young and has enormous potential which you can yet nurture and develop.

Regards,
Robert.

Offline xenia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 02:49:41 PM

Thank you for your consolation tosca 1 !!

:)

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 12:02:09 PM
Yeah, competitions can be dangerous..... but as Robert said, don't make this let you and your pupil down....  ;)
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline xenia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 02:53:10 PM

;)

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 04:00:46 AM
Well said, Robert and Frederic.

The judges might have their own interpretation of a piece that is different to your student's.  However, that does not mean she has not done an exceptional job.  Don't worry too much about it!
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert