Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Un Sospiro, measure 51  (Read 891 times)

Offline jim19130

• PS Silver Member
Un Sospiro, measure 51
on: February 22, 2022, 03:06:22 AM
A pretty specific question.  I’m almost completely learned Liszt’s Un Sospiro, but measure 51-52 is bedeviling me.  It’s the awkward hand position transition at the ppp.  Maybe it’s just practice more, but if anyone has any advice, I’d take it. 
James

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Un Sospiro, measure 51
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 10:17:08 AM
Use 3 on the higher D# (frees the 2 to cross over over the lower D# more easily) then change to a 2 on the upper D# just before you reach up to the C that starts the ppp rather than keep a 3 on it, this will allow you to catch the C more naturally. The 3 written in the score is bad.

531213 repeats then just before the rise up to C play 531212.

In the ppp section the shared D# in both hands is a strong point to maintain positioning, focus on that to keep the hands well behaved, feel the LH 1 and RH 2 sharing the D#. The ascension pattern after adds the sharing of the F#( LH 3 and RH 3 an octave apart but the LH 3 can target the RH 3 as you ascend)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline jim19130

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 09:14:11 PM
Wow. I think I know what you mean.   

At the outset, for the beginning of measure 51, I play the first three notes of the first beat in the right   (A, D#, A) with the right (5,3,1)  but then I play the fourth note in the treble (lower d#) with the left thumb, which my teacher suggested.  Then finish the remaining 2 notes of the beat with the right (1,3) going back up.   In that way, you avoid the awkwardness of crossing over. 

My specific question is the fourth beat of measure 51, where the ppp is marked.   

Are you suggesting at the ppp that the fingering with the right hand would be (at the last beat of measure 51, at the ppp) 5,3,1,5,3,1 going down the keyboard and then 2,3,5, 1,2,3,5 going back up?

I tried this.  If it’s this, maybe that would enable my right hand to better reach.  Can you confirm? 
James

Offline jim19130

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 09:15:52 PM
Or are you saying just use the 3 once on the way down—5,3,1,5,2,1 ?
James

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 01:08:43 AM
At the outset, for the beginning of measure 51, I play the first three notes of the first beat in the right   (A, D#, A) with the right (5,3,1)  but then I play the fourth note in the treble (lower d#) with the left thumb, which my teacher suggested.  Then finish the remaining 2 notes of the beat with the right (1,3) going back up.   In that way, you avoid the awkwardness of crossing over. 
This is a possibility, there are two problems with this option I feel, one is that the accent in the LH is difficult to honor if you are playing the lower D# with the thumb. Secondly the LH should play 1254, we use 4 so that it is easier to go back up, if you use 3 it pulls the hand down too much by comparison. If the Lh thumb is playing the D# instead of the RH you make the travelling distance of the thumb greater which is no real advantage compared to removing the cross over in the RH.

My specific question is the fourth beat of measure 51, where the ppp is marked.   

Are you suggesting at the ppp that the fingering with the right hand would be (at the last beat of measure 51, at the ppp) 5,3,1,5,3,1 going down the keyboard and then 2,3,5, 1,2,3,5 going back up?
Here RH plays CD#A with 521. I don't understand why 3 would be used on the D# here it is very awkward. You can keep the 2 on the D# all the way even with the ascending pattern in the next bar (which adds the 3 to the F#). Like I said before it is the shared notes in the both hands which are of interest to keep the hands in order for the end of Bar 51 (descending D# common note) and into 52 (ascending D# and F#).
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline jim19130

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 01:22:36 PM
Thanks so much for your kind response.
James
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert