Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Harmonic analysis of three measures of Mozart's piano sonata  (Read 1112 times)

Offline jlmap

• PS Silver Member
Hi! Can anyone help me with an harmonic analysis of those measures? It is from the second movement of Mozar's piano sonata in Bb major, K333. I think they are measures 37 to 39. It comes from F minor, and ends in A b major. But what is happening in between? The measures are attached to this post.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Harmonic analysis of three measures of Mozart's piano sonata
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 07:26:20 PM
Honestly, looking at the material around that passage, I'd primarily think in terms of voice leading rather than harmonic function. He is passing harmonies we are familiar with in familiar ways (that V6/4 in c minor for example), but also continues in unexpected ways, but it works.

Offline jlmap

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 08:13:30 PM
Thank you! I think I see what you mean. Something like this:

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 10:11:35 PM
That looks like a legit solution to me!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert