Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: new to piano, do i have a talent?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
new to piano, do i have a talent?
on: April 25, 2022, 07:14:09 PM
Hello everyone!  I'm playing piano since late January, so it's around 3 months. Now i can already play pieces like Waltz in C minor op.  64 no. 2, Mazurka op. 33. no. 4 also chopin preludes. is it normal for 3 months of playing piano? i dont really know let me know what you think! :)

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: new to piano, do i have a talent?
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:54:15 PM
Could you post a video of your playing, or even audio? It is certainly unusual, but it will depend on how well you're playing the pieces. I know it sounds pedantic, but I've had this happen so many times to me that I'm usually cautious.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 03:06:42 AM
I agree with ranjit. It is unusual, but it really does depend on the shape the pieces are in.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 02:39:23 PM
of course i will post a video of me playing but idk how actually

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 03:33:09 PM
you can post it to youtube, that would probably be easiest.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 05:56:50 PM
You can post a video to YouTube. If not, you can also post an mp3 directly on Pianostreet (click on Attachments and other options).

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 06:05:13 PM
can i post waltz in c minor? i got it on my phone. but its without middle part so i can post 2 parts actually

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 06:42:07 PM
Hello again! Im now posting a clip of me playing chopin waltz op 64. no. 2. i want to apologize that its not played well, but like i said i only play 3 months so yeah. enjoy!! :D

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 06:50:27 PM
No one can know for sure if you are being genuine but if we give you the benefit of the doubt it's of course not normal, but more importantly why do you want to ask such questions? Do you think someone will say, bah it's terrible give up! Or if someone says WOW SO AMAZING!!!!! Is it really going to change anything? It just seems odd you want to ask a question like this.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 06:59:19 PM
Okay, you're definitely very talented if this is real. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt because I was sometimes met with incredulity when I posted my progress and wouldn't want someone else to experience that.

I have never seen anyone play that piece in that timeframe to the level at which you have posted, so kudos to you. You clearly have an intuitive understanding of phrasing, and it does sound musical. Your touch is a bit harsh but that's to be expected. I'm impressed that you got the legato-staccato-staccato in the left hand waltz accompaniment while also having a bit of a decrescendo in the right during the second section. It's certainly not refined but it's very nice that you have an understanding of what you're playing.

I would like the others to chime in because I'm still a student and not too good at assessing others. But yeah, if you're being genuine and you want to take this seriously I would advise you to seek out teachers who are very well established in your area, piano professors or concert pianists in some capacity (think someone like Graham Fitch but ideally in person). You may need to request them to teach you piano technique from scratch -- it's more beneficial in the long run because otherwise you will hit a wall sooner rather than later.

I just wrote about my experience with teachers, you can check it out if you'd like.
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=68924.msg718827;topicseen#msg718827

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 07:01:57 PM
thank you very much for your opinion. im glad to hear this words from someone who is experienced in playing piano. of course i will check the link that u sent. thank you again! :D

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 07:12:19 PM
No one can know for sure if you are being genuine but if we give you the benefit of the doubt it's of course not normal, but more importantly why do you want to ask such questions? Do you think someone will say, bah it's terrible give up! Or if someone says WOW SO AMAZING!!!!! Is it really going to change anything? It just seems odd you want to ask a question like this.
Although I must say, OP, I'd like to hear your response to this. Why are you asking the question?

Offline luk0ss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 07:19:04 PM
im asking because i wanted to know if this is normal and i wanted to get some motivation or something like that in practising. you just made me realise that it has potencial. it helped a lot and when i heard this word from you i felt soo happy and i was excited. so my point in writing this post is completed.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 08:20:50 PM
[.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 06:08:33 AM
im asking because i wanted to know if this is normal and i wanted to get some motivation or something like that in practising. you just made me realise that it has potencial. it helped a lot and when i heard this word from you i felt soo happy and i was excited. so my point in writing this post is completed.
So you are not excited to learn piano after playing these pieces in ridiculously short time? Instead being cheered on by strangers gives you more confidence??? Twilight zone stuff.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert