Piano Forum

Topic: Organizing a concert for celebrating being alive  (Read 911 times)

Offline chopinonions

• PS Silver Member
Organizing a concert for celebrating being alive
on: May 24, 2022, 02:59:13 PM
Hello everyone! I am organizing a concert for next year that revolves around the joy of being alive. It is the final stage of a capstone project I am doing for a scholars program, and each capstone needs a theme around social change/justice, so my theme was going to be mental health. So my question for everyone is, what pieces of music make you feel glad to be alive? PS: at the direction of the program directors, It is preferred that I limit the amount of classical music I perform with. Although I argued with them that even playing only chopin is more than enough music for a lifetime, they want me to expand. Additionally, the concert does not need to be purely solo piano. I also have limited violin experience (I am finishing wolfgang elementary), and have worked with a small high school-style classical ensemble, but I will most likely not have access to them for the concert. I don't have a set length, but was thinking about something over 30 mins and under an hour.

If it matters, I just finished Bach's no 6 d minor prelude/fugue, am working on Beethoven 2/1, and am searching for my first chopin etude now. I have a lot of experience with chopin's nocturnes ( posthumous c# minor, 9/2, 55 in f minor, 27/2) and I've been told that he is the composer I play best.

Offline nightwindsonata

• PS Silver Member
Re: Organizing a concert for celebrating being alive
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:52:14 PM
Beethoven's Op. 110 Sonata makes me feel alive! It might be a bit beyond your technique though  :P
1st-year Master's Program:
- Ravel Piano Concerto
- Liszt Ricordanza
- Liszt 3 Liebestraums
- Liszt 3 Sonnets

- Rhapsody in Blue
- Dante Sonata
- Schubert Sonata D.780
- Mozart Piano Quartet in Gm

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 08:25:50 PM
Bach has a lot of "joy of being alive" music, a couple examples of many - the G major Prelude and Fugue from Book 1 of the WTC, or the gigue from the French Suite in G major.

The last (and maybe the first) movement of Beethoven's Pastorale Sonata in D, are also very joyful.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 09:05:12 PM
Personally, though many of them are various degrees of wistful, the Chopin Preludes - when played well - make me feel happy to be alive. Many of them could be within your reach technically, and since people say you play Chopin well they may be up your alley.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 03:33:10 AM
A second vote for the Beethoven, but yes it might be too far a reach.

If you like the Chopin preludes, No. 1 is one of the best expressions for joy of life of all time in my opinion. It's so short yet has so much experience!
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:30 PM
Great idea! A lot of Beethoven's music is his revolt against fate, capturing his desire to live and create his art despite his many difficulties in life. I think many of his Sonatas could fit your programme. Which ones have you played?

Offline julill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:06:08 AM
wow I am so proud of what you are doing! I'd suggest to play an Closing Waltz from the Nutcracker. Сhaikovsky is a master of emotions
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert