Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Why does Khatia Buniatishvili get so much hate?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline toastythetoastytoaster

• PS Silver Member
Why does Khatia Buniatishvili get so much hate?
on: June 18, 2022, 04:39:05 AM
Genuinely asking to all the pianists out here
People say that "she's not playing" or that "she's only getting attention because of cleavage"
What the ***
I was listening to her interpretation of ravel's la valse (for piano)
&ab_channel=Cantus5
Just look at the *** comments section oh my *** god
I LOVE her interpretation for la valse
The piece is supposed to be messy and disturibing
It's quite literally a "waltz between life and death" from ravel's words
it's SUPPOSED to be crazy
and this interpretation HAS that energy
yes of course, it's not as "virtuosic sounding" as seong jin cho's interpretation
or yes it doesn't have all the notes correct
but pianists AREN'T supposed to be note playing machines
if that was the case, then pianolas would make all pianists go extinct.
since those machines can already play all notes without missing one  >:(

Sorry for my bad language. I'm seriously angry right now.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why does Khatia Buniatishvili get so much hate?
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 08:23:18 AM
Does she really come in for so much criticism? I don't know; perhaps so. I would not go as far as some of her critics in referring to drawing attantion to herself in the way described here rather than to the music but I don't really think that she's an especially exciting pianist; that's all...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline kidive91

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 06:51:27 PM
I have tickets to see her live at Teatro Colon (buenos aires) in august. she will be playing Rachmaninov 2nd concerto, I'm super anxious and looking forward to it. I also dont understand why so much hate to her, pretty similar than what Yuja Wang receives, and probably for similar reasons too. people are disgusting and full of envy.

Offline hmoll53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 05:56:16 PM
I think the main reason for pianists like Buniatishvili and Wang gets criticized is for the way they dress in concerts, which I suppose you could say are a bit more on the revealing side at times. Some listeners might think they use this as a way to gain attention or to show off, though this really doesn't mean much and it might simply be the style that these performers wish to present themselves in. Now for the playing, I don't always agree with Khatia's playing but in no way is she a "bad" pianist (Given she's probably better than everyone on this site  :P)
Some Current Repertoire:
Scriabin: Sonatas 2,4 and 5
Chopin: Ballade 1,4, Scherzo 1
Rachmaninoff: Concerto 3
Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit
Barber: Sonata
Beethoven: Appassionata

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:34:48 PM
I think the main reason for pianists like Buniatishvili and Wang gets criticized is for the way they dress in concerts, which I suppose you could say are a bit more on the revealing side at times. Some listeners might think they use this as a way to gain attention or to show off, though this really doesn't mean much and it might simply be the style that these performers wish to present themselves in.

People who do that are just projecting a lot of whatever sh*t is going on with them IMO. Probably repressed jealousy of what they believe is the other person's good looks or liberated sexual self-expression. Like if you are happy in your own life and skin, how somebody else chooses to present themselves 50 meters away on a stage simply won't bother you. Or if it does, you'll choose to not attend the concert, not shout about it on online forums.

Now for the playing, I don't always agree with Khatia's playing but in no way is she a "bad" pianist (Given she's probably better than everyone on this site  :P)

She is a very skilled pianist and I think she can be very lyrical and sensitive in some slower pieces, such as in these recordings:

What I don't like about her playing is that she sometimes takes either a very fast tempo so that she makes a lot of mistakes, or she is just a bit sloppy. Now, I have no problem with wrong notes, but there is just something about how she does it that comes across as intentionally careless or that she is not doing what she is doing to serve the music. It feels sort of arrogant or... something, I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't know what's going on but it makes me feel like she has the potential to be a pianist I'd truly enjoy a ton if she just stopped doing... whatever it is she is doing when she takes these really fast tempos and/or plays a ton of wrong notes while sounding kinda like she doesn't care. I have a feeling this is what bothers some other people too.

Offline hmoll53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:47 AM
People who do that are just projecting a lot of whatever sh*t is going on with them IMO. Probably repressed jealousy of what they believe is the other person's good looks or liberated sexual self-expression. Like if you are happy in your own life and skin, how somebody else chooses to present themselves 50 meters away on a stage simply won't bother you. Or if it does, you'll choose to not attend the concert, not shout about it on online forums.

She is a very skilled pianist and I think she can be very lyrical and sensitive in some slower pieces, such as in these recordings:

What I don't like about her playing is that she sometimes takes either a very fast tempo so that she makes a lot of mistakes, or she is just a bit sloppy. Now, I have no problem with wrong notes, but there is just something about how she does it that comes across as intentionally careless or that she is not doing what she is doing to serve the music. It feels sort of arrogant or... something, I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't know what's going on but it makes me feel like she has the potential to be a pianist I'd truly enjoy a ton if she just stopped doing... whatever it is she is doing when she takes these really fast tempos and/or plays a ton of wrong notes while sounding kinda like she doesn't care. I have a feeling this is what bothers some other people too.

I feel like the playing does get too fast and sloppy at times, I personally find her La Valse too fast and uneven, but her Mephisto Waltz which is way faster than average speed, works quite well surprisingly. I again, I think it's a hit or miss for me at times though she usually does very well in anything she plays.
Some Current Repertoire:
Scriabin: Sonatas 2,4 and 5
Chopin: Ballade 1,4, Scherzo 1
Rachmaninoff: Concerto 3
Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit
Barber: Sonata
Beethoven: Appassionata
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert