Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: Help with repertoire  (Read 2024 times)

Offline alux9

• PS Silver Member
Help with repertoire
on: July 08, 2022, 09:11:48 AM
Hi guys, i haven't been playing classical music for like 2 years but i still have the tecnical aspect with me and I would like some suggetions for repertoire and learning things again to improve and take to the next level.

The repertoire i used to play was:

- Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C minor Book 1
- Bach: Prelude and Fugue in D major Book 1
- Bach: Prelude and Fugue in G minor Book 1
- Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C major Book 1
- Haydn: Piano Sonata nº 5 in G major (XVI: 11) I - Presto
- Mozart: Piano Sonata No. 16 in C Major K.545 (1st and 2nd mvt)

So i would like suggetions, mostly of these composers, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Liszt, Ravel. I would love to play any of these composers even if it's a little above my level.

Offline adariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with repertoire
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 07:47:04 AM
If i am being honest, the leap from classical to romantic can be huge if not approached properly, as it is a whole new style and requires a whole different technique (not always but mostly). In addition, romantic music is a lot harder to read than classical in most cases. Considering all those, id recommend maybe a debussy prelude, arabesque no 1 or Rachmaninoff prelude in csharp minor or 32 no 5. There are chopin preludes or etudes that you can look at, which you can do by listening to all on yt. Liszt has a beautiful consolation no 3, and for ravel you could go for pavane for a dead princess

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 11:53:32 PM
I second the suggestion of Chopin Preludes, there are many within your reach you could choose from. There are also some nocturnes, such as the first ones from Op. 9, Op 15 no 3, perhaps Op. 27 no 2, Op 37 no 1, Op 55 no 1, Op 72 no1.

Debussy has some preludes in book 1 you could handle. Also Clair de Lune, Arabesque no 1.

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 01:45:13 AM
Google "ABRSM piano exam syllabus" or "Trinity piano exam syllabus", and check the works by Chopin, Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Liszt, Ravel listed on Grade 7 & 8 syllabus of current & previous years. If playable and confident, then move on to diploma syllabus.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 04:19:32 AM
Start with something easier than what you were playing before, it'll build momentum and let you ease into things. Within a few weeks to months you'll be back where you were and can build from there.

Play some Bach Inventions (I know it's not romantic but you've got Bach in your rep), maybe some easier Chopin Waltzes or Preludes (Op. 69, Db prelude, Em prelude etc.).

Maybe Debusy La Fille?
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline azural

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 09:25:58 PM
If I were you I'd buy a book of Beethoven Bagatelles, learn and nail a bunch of them, then learn and perfectly play all three movements of the Beethoven Pathetique Sonata, then you're in good place to take on Romantic and late Romantic piano works.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 11:06:32 AM
If I were you I'd buy a book of Beethoven Bagatelles, learn and nail a bunch of them, then learn and perfectly play all three movements of the Beethoven Pathetique Sonata, then you're in good place to take on Romantic and late Romantic piano works.

I think there's a bit of a leap between playing the Pathetique and some late romantic rep. Pathetique is significantly easier than a lot of romantic rep.

Offline azural

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 11:14:23 AM
I didn't say there wasn't a leap - there's significantly less of one then moving from K.545 or some easy Bach preludes, so it makes sense as a repertoire progression.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 04:29:57 AM
I didn't say there wasn't a leap - there's significantly less of one then moving from K.545 or some easy Bach preludes, so it makes sense as a repertoire progression.
I assumed OP also played the fugues. Those are still pretty challenging.

Although I don't think you really need the Pathetique to learn romantic rep, nor do you need to learn eras chronologically. Why not just play some obviously manageable romantic or late romantic pieces?
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline thenerdicpianist06

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 04:27:21 PM
Maybe you could look into some easier Liszt stuff, like Consolations. Maybe also like some Ravel Valses Nobles et Sentimentales and some Chopin Nocturnes would be good. Liszt Liebestraum is also good and a crowd pleaser.

Offline piabanoch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 07:55:35 PM
wow for only playing for 2 years you are very good. I would advise you to do ravel sonatinas, with Bach you have a solid technique.
I can't control Music, but Music controls me
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert