Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach piece election for my program  (Read 933 times)

Offline chopin-rachmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Bach piece election for my program
on: August 19, 2022, 06:32:26 PM
Hi there!

I'm looking for a Bach's piece to fit in my program. The piece shouldn't be so hard or extremely long because I have to prepare the rest of the program in order to competitions. My teacher told me to start a prelude and fugue, but I have played several ones and I want something new. The piece I'm thinking about are: Italian concerto, English suite No.2, Chromatic fantasia and fugue in D minor and Rachmaninoff's transcription of the third violin suite.

The whole program is: Chopin Scherzo No.2 and etudes Op.25 No.1, No.7, No.9, No.12; Mozart sonata No.12 in F Major; Scriabin etude Op.8 No.12, El Albaicín by Albeniz and Rachmaninoff etude-tableaux Op.39 No.1.

I would really thank the help.
Greetings!!
Johann Sebastian Bach:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach piece election for my program
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:23:09 PM
You could try this.....

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 02:52:44 PM
It is a truly interesting option, but I think it's too much crazy for my teacher to play a left-hand transcription, anyway I have enjoyed a lot listening to it. I think is the best performance of this piece I have ever listened.

Thank you!

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:43:50 AM
A very simple prelude and fugue I'll suggest is Book II C major.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline rachorascho

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 06:37:35 AM
In my opinion, there is quite a big difference in terms of difficulty and length between preludes&fugues and pieces you have mentioned. If you want to focus your attention on the rest of your program (which is really nice!), I would not suggest you to learn the 2nd english suite, which lasts about 20minutes. So if you are bored with WTC, listen to Busoni's transcription of Bach's Chorale Preludes. You can pick one and if you have time and enthusiasm, add other later and make a selection. :)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 09:45:24 PM
If you change your mind on learning a prelude & fugue, I think that it could be a good idea to pick one of the smaller and lighter ones to further lighten up your program! In any case your program looks nice, good luck!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 02:36:11 PM
Thank you all, it has been very helpful. Busoni's transcription are very interesting, but I finally have started Prelude and Fugue in G minor from his 2nd book.

Greetings!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert