Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Universities with solid music programs  (Read 356 times)

Offline sdphins

• PS Silver Member
Universities with solid music programs
on: August 20, 2022, 12:54:29 AM
Hey all, it's my senior year of high school and I'm now considering my options regarding college. Music of course comes to the forefront of my thoughts on what I'd like to study. I was however a late starter, I did not get into piano until I was 14 and even then I was self taught until only a year ago when I started seriously studying with a highly trained professional. In that year we've made up a lot of ground... went from not knowing the scales to placing second in my city's top bracket concerto competition in about 6 months. Of course I beat that piece to death and have a very slim repertoire due to my rather untraditional background. As of now my teacher says if I took a gap year I could be at a level for a top conservatory, or go now to a bigger and less glamorous program. I personally prefer the "B tier approach" mainly because I'm not 100% convinced I want to be a pianist and a non conservatory allows me a lot of flexibility. Also because I believe that at a top conservatory I would probably be just a mid level talent and wouldn't get access to the top faculty and all the solo opportunities, etc. My question is if you guys know of any great faculty at some sleeper schools that are maybe less glamorous but still world class? Needed to get all that off my chest haha.

Thanks!

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Universities with solid music programs
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 11:38:30 AM
I'd think about going to a non-conservatory with a strong music program. Yale would be a good example; it obviously is academically great, but it also has a very strong music school. It might not prepare you to compete at the very highest levels of concert pianism, but then that does not necessarily seem to be what you want anyway.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert