Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How to play this arpeggio?  (Read 451 times)

Offline happyhacker

• PS Silver Member
How to play this arpeggio?
on: August 25, 2022, 08:17:59 AM
The left hand chord with the squiggle I am not sure how to play. Advice appreciated. Thanks.
------------------------
Thanks for your time.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to play this arpeggio?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 10:38:20 AM
You roll the chord. In this case you play the low D and then very quickly afterwards the F#. If your hand will not reach a tenth, you have no choice and you have to roll the chord regardless of whether it is marked to be rolled or not. It's not always obvious whether the composer is simply acknowledging that you might have to roll a chord, or telling you that even if your hand would reach it to play it all together they still want you to roll it.

Offline happyhacker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:02:00 AM
Thanks I will study that method.
------------------------
Thanks for your time.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 07:36:57 PM
I would play the low D in the left hand first, and then then F sharp in the left hand together with the D in the right hand. This happens quickly, as brogers70 said.

Offline happyhacker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 09:29:43 PM
Thanks. I have seen on some covers on YouTube where the lower note is held and the upper note is repeated during the bar. Is that an option here? It's a Beatles piece 'If I Fell,...'.
------------------------
Thanks for your time.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 04:23:59 PM
I mean why not? It's not in the sheet music but if this is just a piano arrangement of that song, nothing is stopping you from changing it to your liking, creating your own arrangement :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert