Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fingering, Chopins 1st Ballade  (Read 557 times)

Offline siiben

• PS Silver Member
Fingering, Chopins 1st Ballade
on: October 25, 2022, 06:53:04 AM
Anyone who's played this piece will recognize this part. I'm having trouble using the suggested fingering - it gets too cramped and crowded in there. Especially using fingers 4->5 for C -> D-flat and to a lesser extent D -> E-flat.

What fingering have you had success with? Thanks.

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering, Chopins 1st Ballade
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 08:51:54 AM
Anyone who's played this piece will recognize this part. I'm having trouble using the suggested fingering - it gets too cramped and crowded in there. Especially using fingers 4->5 for C -> D-flat and to a lesser extent D -> E-flat.

What fingering have you had success with? Thanks.

I've played this piece for several decades, and now realize I've never thought about the fingering here! Try finding an edition without fingering (or ignoring the fingering suggestions), and just see what comes naturally to you. Since it's not terribly fast at this point, that seems to work fine.

Offline kosulin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingering, Chopins 1st Ballade
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:45:31 AM
I assume this is Op.23?
You might want to look at detailed (and different, but still crowded) fingerings by Mikuli (the score can be found on IMSLP, look for Kistner Pianoforte-Werke edition, approx. 1879-1890).
I do not know how much of fingerings provided there were by Chopin, but Mikuli was his pupil, so he might know how to play in Chopin style.
Vlad

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert