Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Difficulty of kapustin etudes vs other etudes  (Read 2197 times)

Offline ah114561

• PS Silver Member
Difficulty of kapustin etudes vs other etudes
on: November 25, 2022, 12:33:28 AM
Hi all, recently I discovered the Kapustin Concert Etudes, and I really want to start working on these. How do these etudes compare to the etudes of say, Chopin or Debussy in terms of difficulty?

In terms of etudes I have learned:
Chopin Op 10 No 1, 2, 3, 4
Chopin Op 25 No 9, 11, 12
Liszt La Campanella
Debussy Etude No 11 "pour les arpeges composes"

Thanks in Advance!
Current rep:
Scriabin Sonata 2
Rach Concerto 2
Bach P&F Book 1 Eb Minor
Chopin Etude 10 No 4
Chopin Ballade 3

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Difficulty of kapustin etudes vs other etudes
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 02:55:12 PM
This is really hard to quantify, to be honest. Why don't you try one, and see how you fare? If you have learned those Etudes you should be able to determine relatively quickly how the Kapustin etudes fare in comparison.

Offline krncandi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 09:17:06 PM
I've learned the 3rd one which would be the toccatina. It was so fun to perform but very difficult. It's just as hard as all the major etudes out there.  Also an excellent performance piece to excite the audience

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 03:00:09 PM
Kapustin's Concert Etudes (and Etudes in Five Different Intervals too!) are technically very challenging. No harm for you to try working on them. Enjoy!

Offline krncandi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 07:06:33 PM
I've learned the 3rd one which is the Toccatina. It's difficult and you must have very refined technique and strong fingers because it's pianistic yet there are awkward passages on both hands. Getting it to the right tempo is very difficult. The jumps and leaps you have to land in a continuous flow, as well as tricky syncopation is challenging as well. Very fun piece though

Offline pianopro181

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:29:02 PM
Hi all, recently I discovered the Kapustin Concert Etudes, and I really want to start working on these. How do these etudes compare to the etudes of say, Chopin or Debussy in terms of difficulty?

In terms of etudes I have learned:
Chopin Op 10 No 1, 2, 3, 4
Chopin Op 25 No 9, 11, 12
Liszt La Campanella
Debussy Etude No 11 "pour les arpeges composes"

Thanks in Advance!

Some of them are horrendously difficult and feels more like something contemporary and rather un-pianistic in nature. The e minor one for example is harder than any classical study I can think of and I’ve played and performed more or less all the difficult ones by Chopin and Rach dozens of times and also La Campanella. It’s more comparable to Godowsky than anything else. They’re doable, don’t get me wrong, just takes absolute methodical practice for many hours and months slowly building up the tempi to a sensible speed and nailing the rhythms.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert