Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What Make Messiaen so Difficult?  (Read 692 times)

Offline traumeswirren

• PS Silver Member
What Make Messiaen so Difficult?
on: January 09, 2023, 05:22:32 AM
Is it learning what's on the page? or technical difficulty?  or musical difficulty? or a combanation of all 3?

Offline pianopro181

• PS Silver Member
Re: What Make Messiaen so Difficult?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 03:58:50 PM
Is it learning what's on the page? or technical difficulty?  or musical difficulty? or a combanation of all 3?

It’s the complex rhythms and unique tonal language. Also the very big chords, huge dynamic contrasts, incorporation of themes and the ability to be able to memorize his music. Vingt Regards prime example. Very few have performed it without score. I believe Steven Osbourne is one of them.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:33:59 PM
It’s the complex rhythms and unique tonal language. Also the very big chords, huge dynamic contrasts, incorporation of themes and the ability to be able to memorize his music. Vingt Regards prime example. Very few have performed it without score. I believe Steven Osbourne is one of them.

This guy performed them from memory:

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 02:39:08 AM
Gosh most people would be glad when that performance is over lol.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 08:50:49 PM
This guy performed them from memory:

It's a fantastic performance of exceptional music.  He takes a very lyrical approach filled with musical sensitivity.  Thunderous when it needs to be without being harsh, and whispering without loosing tonal support.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline felixblumenfeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 03:53:59 AM
Messiaen's wife, Yvonne Loriod, played the work from memory.

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 02:20:38 PM
Yes, mentally, physically, technically and musically challenging.  A lot more difficult if the player doesn't have good ears and judgment on sound, or if he hate birds  :P

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 11:15:55 PM
It's a fantastic performance of exceptional music.  He takes a very lyrical approach filled with musical sensitivity.  Thunderous when it needs to be without being harsh, and whispering without loosing tonal support.

I was there. It was pretty damn cool to be honest.

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 12:15:44 PM
Messiaen's wife, Yvonne Loriod, played the work from memory.

As far as I know only three of these are on YouTube, one of which has Messiaen himself in it (though I imagine he was somewhere in the background of the others too)

In answer to the original question, Loriod herself is one reason his works are difficult. Messiaen is quoted as saying ‘I could allow myself the greatest eccentricities because to her anything is possible. I knew I could invent very difficult, very extraordinary, and very new things: they would be played, and played well.’

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert