Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Hello, everyone.Could anyone give me some advice about working on Chopin Etudes?  (Read 414 times)

Offline zunaaren

• PS Silver Member
  Hello, everyone. I developed my piano skills largely on my own with some helps from the piano teacher. I first started using the Hanon book to exercise my fingers. I can now play most of the book with the speed labelled by Hanon(such as 108 for the first 30 pieces, but I can certainly play at the BPM of about 120-130). After finishing Hanon, I directly move my focus to other etudes, and found out that some etudes(like No. 299, No. 740) from Czerny is not really harder than Hanon that is played with the full speed.
   So I praticed some of them and not too long after I started to practice the Chopin's etudes. I can finish Op. 10, No.5 right now in about 1:59 on the digital piano. But I found it extremely difficult to sightread pieces from Chopin's Op.10 and Op. 25. I know I focus very much on finger techniques and have not been practicing and sightreading too much etudes or other piano pieces.
  How should I compensate for that and improve my sightreading skills. And is it just normal that Chopin Etudes feels extremely difficult to sightread because you have to maybe first know what note you are going to play and immediately find out how you should move the fingers to finish that note. To identify the notes in these pieces is quite hard but knowing how to move your fingers and finish that note could be even harder. So that is why Chopin's Edtudes are really hard to sightread.
  But I find it somehow hard to just read the treble clef(which is only one line) for the right hand. Is it because I need to sightread more pieces such as No. 849, 299 from Czerny or I should use some books only aimed for sightreading to improve my sightreading skill so I will not have a hard time just to sightread that one line for my right hand? Only advice on that? Is this just normal or it is something I have to take care of? Should I sightread easier etudes or just use some books for sight reading? If I should SR more etudes, any suggestions on that? Thank you!(Feel free to give some other suggestions as well if possible, I do not find Chopin Etudes hard for its techniques but just it is so hard to sightread them so it just takes too long.)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
I would not expect to sight read the Chopin etudes in tempo any time soon, if ever. But it's valuable to practice sight reading a wide variety of pieces, and your ability to do so will improve as you read more material, especially if you have good fingers already.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert