Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Getting back into piano seriously, setting goals  (Read 462 times)

Offline wiegenlied

• PS Silver Member
Getting back into piano seriously, setting goals
on: February 28, 2023, 01:17:48 AM
Hello, I am getting back into piano seriously, at the age of 40, having started piano at 5. The last exam I completed was Grade 8 AMEB (Australia) when I was at school, and pieces I’m currently working on are about AmusA level. During the last twenty years I’ve played in my own time, for leisure, but would like to focus more heavily on piano now that I’m home with the kids, and have started lessons with a teacher. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of goals I should be setting for myself, to keep myself on track and accountable. My big picture goal is to be able to play a wider range of repertoire, and to play it at performance standard, and to build upon my existing knowledge to be able to teach students. I am just not sure what short term goals to set in order to get there. I have about 2-4h a day. Should I be working towards an AmusA exam, or should I work towards getting into a Conservatorium as a mature age student? I realise this is like asking ‘how long is a piece of string’, but if anyone has any advice on getting back into piano in later adulthood, that would be much appreciated!

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Re: Getting back into piano seriously, setting goals
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 01:51:40 AM
Since you have a teacher, you might explore this with that teacher.  One thing that often seems to happen when students have gone through a system like AMEB or any other with a single teacher, is that there will be angles they have not been taught.  For example, you can work toward passing the material for each grade, playing it as well as possible including the directly required technique - but no go in depth on how to go about interpreting music, deeper understanding, or even other technical elements.  You might study theory for passing exams, but miss other practical or useful elements.  Your teacher may observe things that he/she can refine in your playing, or this teacher may have things that s/he finds important or fascinating.  This might be a good starting point.  What do you think?

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 12:51:02 PM
This should be dialogue you have with your teacher who will lay down the options.

Ameb doesn't focus on sight reading skills so unless your reading skills are excellent perhaps this should be a goal. Ameb also doesn't test practice method, it doesn't care how long something takes to learn so unless your practice method is top notch perhaps this is also another goal.

Exams tend to only require a small amount of works, you can have a much more in depth view of repertoire outside of exams, so if your heart isn't totally set on attaining an exam certificate then your teacher should be able to construct some kind of syllabus for you which will develop your technique, practice method, sight reading, repertoire explorations and whatever else you may need.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline wiegenlied

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 12:37:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I agree that speaking to my teacher is the next logical step.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert