Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: I need music to work on passagework  (Read 1053 times)

Offline sempre_piano

• PS Silver Member
I need music to work on passagework
on: June 15, 2023, 12:43:40 AM
It's a problem for me that I neglect most pieces with passagework. I have an irrational fear of sounding like I'm trying to showoff. If anyone can reccomend some early advanced pieces with a ton of passagework and not too long, I will appreciate it greatly. Preferably it's not too showy.

Level of the piece: A little bit above ABRSM 8 or RCM 10
Composer: Anybody but Czerny or Chopin
Carl Czerny:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles
Frédéric Chopin:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: I need music to work on passagework
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 01:14:22 AM
Lots to choose from. From Bach, how about the C# major prelude from WTC1 or the Gigue of the French Suite in G major, or the Preludes from the G minor or A minor English Suites. Chopin Opus 10/4. Beethoven Opus 26, last movement.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 01:17:00 AM

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline etudediabolo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 07:31:34 AM
Have you ever tried Béla Bartók? With him it is either you love him or you don't, but he wrote a few fun pieces, like "Alegro Barbaro" for example. They have a lot of Hungarian influence, and IMO quite fun to play.

Offline sempre_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 05:48:01 PM
Have you ever tried Béla Bartók? With him it is either you love him or you don't, but he wrote a few fun pieces, like "Alegro Barbaro" for example. They have a lot of Hungarian influence, and IMO quite fun to play.

Allegro Barbaro is great. I wouldn't consider it it passagework, at least for the purpose of my question.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 02:22:35 PM
You get lots of passagework in the Mozart sonatas, it's not super advanced but at the same time it requires a lot of refinement and mastery to play really well. At the same time, Mozart is not really vapid "show-off" music. Does that seem to suit your purposes?

Bach is also good for general technique development. Anything fast from the Well Tempered Clavier will be good for you. Try the D major prelude from book 1 if you want a challenge. C sharp major, G major and F sharp minor are good too.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 10:46:42 AM
Haydn sonatas, Mozart sonatas, Scarlatti, Bach would be my go tos based on your description. Can you clarify if what has been posted in this thread so far matches what you are looking for? There's of course passagework on Liszt and some of it is quite pianistic - sounds harder than it is. But for refinement without being too show-off-y those early composers would be my recommendation.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 12:25:18 PM
Here's a Beethoven Rondo I'd not heard before, scales arpeggios, fast polyrhythms, scalar bits in thirds and sixths, and it's a nice piece, Beethoven in a sunny mood.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 08:39:28 PM
Here's a Beethoven Rondo I'd not heard before, scales arpeggios, fast polyrhythms, scalar bits in thirds and sixths, and it's a nice piece, Beethoven in a sunny mood.

Cool! Had not heard that Beethoven piece before. Looks like a great choice if you want to work on some passagy stuff. Looks like a great advanced sight reading piece too.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert