Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Properly learning pieces without guidance  (Read 750 times)

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Properly learning pieces without guidance
on: August 18, 2023, 06:46:53 PM
Dear people,

Because it is summer break right now, I don't have weekly piano lessons. They stopped about a month ago, and in a few weeks, I'm going to start my first year of conservatory. However, that means that, right now, I don't have a teacher guiding me in the pieces I'm working on. I am working on 6 pieces of relatively doable difficulty, of which 3 I have already learned previously. The pieces are Schumann's Kinderszenen Nos. 1, 7, 13, Scriabin's Étude Op. 2 No. 1, Chopin's Mazurka Op. 17 No. 4 and Debussy's 8th prelude 'La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin'. I really want to learn them at a 'professional' level, since I'm going to play these for me and my girlfriend's anniversary, but also so that I don't present these pieces at a laughable level to my new teacher at the conservatory.

So, does anyone have tips on what to look out for, what to remember, or what to practice specifically to get the pieces to a good level? I know myself well enough to be able to say that my practice routine isn't yet very good and that sometimes I don't really know what parts or aspects (dynamics, fingerings, tempo, etc.) of a piece I should be focussing on without a teacher telling me.

If anyone can help me with this so that I can work on it in the coming weeks, that would really be appreciated!

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Properly learning pieces without guidance
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 08:02:27 PM
but also so that I don't present these pieces at a laughable level to my new teacher at the conservatory.

As someone who worried a lot about this sort of stuff when I was where you are at now, please don't base your actions around avoiding embarassment in front of your teacher. If your teacher is any good, they are there to help you, and be an empathic source of guidance, and it should be fine to play at a "laughable" level (your words) if that's where you are at. If they don't think you are ready to handle the material they are supposed to guide you to easier material that you can handle.

Your job is to lean into your passion for music and do your best with the skills you have now (and if you aren't already doing that, why do you even wanna study music?). Their job is to evaluate your skillset from your playing, help you learn the skills you lack and give you artistic guidance. Do your best, honestly apply your intellect and your heart to the contents of the score and see what you come up with. That should be good enough for any teacher.

So, does anyone have tips on what to look out for, what to remember, or what to practice specifically to get the pieces to a good level? I know myself well enough to be able to say that my practice routine isn't yet very good and that sometimes I don't really know what parts or aspects (dynamics, fingerings, tempo, etc.) of a piece I should be focussing on without a teacher telling me.

Consider past experiences you've had when you've brought pieces to your teacher. What have they pointed out to you? What have you typically needed to work on from one lesson to the next? There are many things to work on when you learn a piece and it can be hard to do it all at once, so consider it an evolving process. While you first learn the notes, think about your interpretation and what musicianship tools you need to apply to get it across. Having a rough idea of what sound you are aiming for will give you ideas on what you need to focus on, and you can refine your end goal as you work. Study the hard parts first. Record yourself and polish the parts that don't live up to what you are aiming for. There's lots you can do haha and everyone is different IMO.

Offline rtheunissen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 09:05:52 PM
Dear Lelle,

Thanks for your response! It is not that I've picked out pieces that are above my current skill level, it's more that sometimes I don't see where my weak points within the piece are or that I doubt myself, because I think that it sounds amateurish, when in reality it already sounds quite good. And I want to find a way to get rid of that. However, I'll pick up on some of your tips! I don't really mind making a fool of myself in front of my teacher in that sense, I just want a good start for the coming years and of course, I also want the pieces to sound good for my anniversary. Hopefully, your tips will help me in the coming weeks, after that, when I have a teacher again, the doubt should go away on it's own.

Any other tips are of course always welcome :)

PS I know my struggles/question might sound vague, but I don't know how else to put it into words...

Offline ego0720

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 11:38:35 AM
I don’t have any technical tips. But more moral support.

The teacher needs you to be imperfect so they can help you and feel good about it. Also you want to perform your typical practice at first bc if set the bar unusually high it can be counterproductive if you think about it too much (or the next time you perform under same circumstance which is end of the year or program). You will naturally play better anyways due to the setup. You want to perform as though you are casual. Having a skilled mind to always find your center point of control is important for life. It’s also something to practice on.

Pressure is the proper amount of dosage. A little pushes you to your best. Too much can break you and do u a disservice. Personally I have done better not under any pressure bc I put a constant pressure always when I train (the daily training is when the pressure is on as opposed to an event). The “tribunal” (be it teachers, judges, audience) are more theatrics. When it’s u and the piano imagine emptiness in your environment and immerse yourself in that world.

Offline geopianoincanada

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 03:33:11 PM
When I was without a teacher and searching for a replacement, I went about practicing pieces which I had previously done until I could find a new teacher to guide my progress.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert