Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: dohnanyi piano concerto no.2 op.42  (Read 2576 times)

Offline sousa

• PS Silver Member
dohnanyi piano concerto no.2 op.42
on: February 20, 2005, 12:16:21 PM
My teacher has searched  all over for the score ,but no one seems to have it. I know Martin Roscoe recorded it.Does anyone out there have access to this?? $ is not an object in this matter. Photocopies [ or .pdf] would be fine-preferably the 2-piano score. thanks very much- Sousa

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Re: dohnanyi piano concerto no.2 op.42
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:35:59 PM
i have the recordings, and they are really cool pieces

havent listened to them much yet, but i really like the 1st concerto actually, quite brahmsian
love,peace,hope,fresh coconuts

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:26:01 PM
wow I would be interested in hearing these. I had no idea they existed. Way to look for something outside the box.

boliver

Offline klavierkonzerte

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 08:26:56 PM
the british library has the score but i think the second concerto is still on copyrights
so you have to get a premission from the rights owner to ask for a photocopy.

here's there site  https://www.bl.uk/

i have the full score of the first but it's VERY small, i spent like an hour to read the first 2 lines of the solo part.

hope this helps.

Offline didi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 08:19:10 AM
Hi Sousa

If still interested in the Scores, please contact me at didiwen@spymac.com.

Didi

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 08:59:43 AM
I know this is irrelevant to this post, but dohnanyi's variations for piano and orchestra on "twinkle twinkle little star" are BRILLIANT!

THis is a composer who should be far more famous- not only for his compositional brilliance, but also the fact that he was cziffra's teacher at the liszt academy when he was a teenager.
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 10:56:28 AM
I know this is irrelevant to this post, but dohnanyi's variations for piano and orchestra on "twinkle twinkle little star" are BRILLIANT!

THis is a composer who should be far more famous- not only for his compositional brilliance, but also the fact that he was cziffra's teacher at the liszt academy when he was a teenager.

I didn't know he taught Cziffra!  I think I read somewhere that Dohnanyi did not become so famous himself because he made the decision to championing Hungarian music, such as Bartok's stuff, rather than promote his own music.  In fact, his own compositional output was restricted because he spent more time making other people famous!

Offline jazzyd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 06:10:24 PM
Not only has Martin Roscoe recorded it, but someone called Erno Dohnanyi recorded it as well. :)

However, as far as modern recordings go, you should check out Howard Shelley's, which was released last year. It's better than Roscoe's, IMO.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert