Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: What to learn after Prelude and Fugue in c minor in Bach's WTC?  (Read 750 times)

Offline doubleconcerto

• PS Silver Member
I learned both over the summer and felt like I played them at a satisfactory level. What piece in the WTC would be a logical next step from these two? Ideally, I'd like to learn a prelude followed by a fugue (sequential).

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Re: What to learn after Prelude and Fugue in c minor in Bach's WTC?
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 05:33:18 AM
The D Major P&F from Book 1's a good one. Most people don't think it's too hard, there's many recurring patterns. I had a bit of trouble on the prelude but it's not too bad, and the fugues's quite simple even though it's 4 voices.
last 3 schubert sonatas and piano trios are something else

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 12:31:36 PM
I agree that the D major fugue from Book I is not too hard. And the prelude does not have to go by at light speed - at a moderate tempo it's still interesting and not that hard. The D minor Prelude and Fugue are also good. The prelude sounds harder than it actually is, and sounds fine at a less than presto tempo. The fugue is only slightly harder than the C minor, and it's sort of fun because it uses inversion of the subject, which the C minor does not.

Offline jaquet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 03:11:22 PM
i would learn the one in b flat major book 1, its a very fun piece
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert