Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is chopin too hard for my level ?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Is chopin too hard for my level ?
on: April 30, 2024, 11:22:17 AM
I played some bach two part inventions and now I want to play

chopin nocturne op27 no 2 and some schubert improptu. Are these pieces too hard for me or are they doable ? what should I do?

Offline liszt-and-the-galops

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is chopin too hard for my level ?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 11:30:56 AM
Chopin 27/2 is one of the hardest Chopin Nocturnes imo, so it might not be the greatest choice. I'm not familiar with Schubert, so I can't help there.

Perhaps an easier Nocturne (e.g op. 9?) would be a good choice.

However, since I don't know what the rest of your repertoire is, this recommendation probably won't be too helpful. If you could post a recording of you playing in the audition room, that would be very helpful. :)

Really, though, you should ask your teacher if you're ready for this. They know more about you than any of us.

Hope this helps! :)
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).
https://www.youtube.com/@Liszt-and-the-Galops

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 12:40:23 PM
I really dont have a teacher. I think I am very noob so I dont really feel like posting sorry haha.
I understand that chopin is too difficult. How would one approach those pieces. how can I know if I am ready or not?

Offline busondelssohn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 12:48:28 PM
Is this your first Chopin? If so, I would go for something a little easier. Opus nine number 1 nocturne is really nice, and not as difficult as the d flat nocturne. There is also the c sharp minor op. posth. Nocturne which you might consider trying. You could also look at his preludes. Or his waltzes: minutes waltz, waltz in e Minor B.56 op.posth....

But as said, you could give as a taste of your repertoire to help people give informed feedback.

DISCLAIMER: take my advice with a grain of salt; I'm an amateur myself.

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 12:57:19 PM
thank you. do you think those chopins are hard for someone who playes two part invention?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 12:58:45 PM
thank you. do you think those chopins are hard for someone who playes two part invention?
Most of Bach is below the level of Chopin, but you should be able to do an easier Chopin piece over a slightly longer period of time.
Amateur pianist, beginning composer, creator of the Musical Madness tournament (2024).

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 01:04:12 PM

Yes, I think those Chopin pieces are too hard if the most difficult things you are playing are the two-part inventions. The best known "easy" Chopin pieces are the Preludes in E minor and A major. If you are new to the piano and do not have a teacher, the best advice I can give is to play a lot of very easy things and try to play them as musically as possible. If you already love classical music it is very easy to get tempted into trying the more substantial, big pieces from the repertoire, and that can end up giving you a lot of tension and an uncomfortable feeling at the keyboard (I speak from experience). Playing lots of easy things as musically as possible will get you to the Schubert Impromptus and Chopin Nocturnes faster than will jumping into them too soon. Of the Schubert Impromptus, the Ab Major from Opus 142 is a good deal easier than the rest, especially the A section, but if I were you, I'd go with Music for Millions, Beginner level anthology or something similar. It will pay off in the long run.

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 01:08:02 PM
I understand. yes I like classical music I played flute before so I am tempted to play some advanced pieces but I really dont know how to get there any piece book reccomendations?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 01:30:21 PM
I understand. yes I like classical music I played flute before so I am tempted to play some advanced pieces but I really dont know how to get there any piece book reccomendations?

I started out as a classical guitarist, switched to piano at age 40, and wasted 10 years because I was trying to get right to the "real" pieces that I wanted to play. It took a couple of years with a good teacher, plus a year of playing only very simple pieces to correct my tense technique and uncomfortable relationship with the piano. But after a year of playing only easy things and concentrating on making them as musical as possible, I felt so much better and my technique improved a lot. Now, at 65, I'm playing all the Schubert Impromptus, a few of the less technically difficult Beethoven Sonatas, lots of Haydn and Mozart Sonatas, lots of Bach from WTC, Chopin Nocturnes, late Brahms, and playing well enough that I can play house recitals for friends and neighbors who are not just doing me a favor by listening patiently.

So for easy things, Music for Millions, Vol 17 and 27: Easy Classics to Moderns are great anthologies. Dances of JS Bach, 31 Pieces to Play before the Two Part Inventions is just what it says it is. Or just go on Amazon and look for Beginner Classical Piano Anthologies, you'll find lots. Almost does not matter. Just do a lot of easy pieces and play them musically enough that it's fun. You have to take time and enjoy the process without getting frustrated that you cannot play the big pieces for a few years.

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 01:43:02 PM
I understand but I also wasted couple of years playing easy pieces and focusing on scales etc I have almost 0 repertoire on my back. So I just want to play and do things before its too late. As for books lots of people suggestted czerny etc but I feel without real music you cant improve. Also I think I need to challenge myself a bit

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 02:16:57 PM
I understand but I also wasted couple of years playing easy pieces and focusing on scales etc I have almost 0 repertoire on my back. So I just want to play and do things before its too late. As for books lots of people suggestted czerny etc but I feel without real music you cant improve. Also I think I need to challenge myself a bit

Well, it is a bit hard to give you advice without hearing you play. Generally, I do not think it is a waste to do scales and easy pieces, but then it depends on how you are working on the scales and the easy pieces and how they sound when you play them. Scales are useful because they are essentially fast passages that are incredibly easy to memorize. So if you work on upping the speed and maintaining clarity you will learn all sorts of subtle things about how to position and move your hands efficiently and how to work systematically on a fast passage to get it to tempo. But there are also lots of wasteful ways to practice scales, too.

I don't particularly like Czerny, but if you want more musical sounding exercises you could try Cramer 50 Selected Exercises, edited by von Bulow. Like Czerny they focus on one technical point at a time, but they are harmonically more interesting. There are lots of easyish Haydn sonatas that are fun to play. Debussy's Fille aux cheveux de lin is not too hard, at least in terms of hitting the notes. Look at the French and English Suites by Bach, and the Partitas - lots of the movements in them are approachable and are at the level of the two part inventions. If the easy Music for Millions stuff is too easy for you, just go to the intermediate volumes - lots of more interesting but still short and approachable pieces. Treat them as "real" music and they should be fun.

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 02:27:53 PM
to be honest I did a lot and a lot of technical exercises but now I am working and studying so I dont have time for those I only work on reportoire. so If I want to train something I just try to learn bach and I think bach helps a lot with technique. but chopin has different techniques required so thats why I am a bit worried

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 02:51:50 PM
to be honest I did a lot and a lot of technical exercises but now I am working and studying so I dont have time for those I only work on reportoire. so If I want to train something I just try to learn bach and I think bach helps a lot with technique. but chopin has different techniques required so thats why I am a bit worried

Supposedly Chopin developed his technique by practicing mostly Bach, so maybe it'll all work out fine for you.

Don't worry and don't be in too much of a hurry. If you're studying and working, odds are you are pretty young and have decades ahead of you to play the piano. I may be projecting my experience on to your situation anyway - I developed a lot of bad, tense habits and wasted years because I was too eager to play more advanced pieces. That may not be you at all. You might work through the harder Chopin Nocturnes without developing tension or getting frustrated. Whatever you do, just enjoy it and play as musically as you can, and if you are not doing it already, start playing for other people, even if only friends and family - that really helps. Good luck and enjoy!

Offline bilgekaana

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 03:13:04 PM
thanks a lot :)

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 04:36:41 AM
Most of Bach is below the level of Chopin, but you should be able to do an easier Chopin piece over a slightly longer period of time.
I can't agree with this take. Even though much of Chopin is technically difficult and is interpreted in a much different way, the voicing on the Bach is different. It's a good foundation for more complex Chopin pieces, but to the OP, I would start with the easier Chopin preludes and then do one of the posthumous or Op. 9 No. 1/2 nocturnes or sostenuto Waltzes. It's a good way to get some Chopin in while being less technical.

Also, no, you're not "wasting time" from practicing basic pieces and scales - you're building momentum.
last 3 schubert sonatas and piano trios are something else

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 10:34:50 AM
I can't agree with this take. Even though much of Chopin is technically difficult and is interpreted in a much different way, the voicing on the Bach is different. It's a good foundation for more complex Chopin pieces...
I'm think you're saying Bach is more difficult musically? I'm not going to argue with that.
Also, no, you're not "wasting time" from practicing basic pieces and scales - you're building momentum.
Yeah, that's really not debatable lol.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert