Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Prelude op 25 N 3  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Barbosa-piano

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff Prelude op 25 N 3
on: February 22, 2005, 09:24:19 PM
         Hello, this is Mario and I just want to make one question: Is there a good technique for the prelude in G minor by Rachmaninoff, so you can memorize it fast, with no technical problems? I have been studying the piece for about a month now and every time I try to play it I have to warm up for a long time. I have to memorize it by the end of this week to play in a competition, but I practice a lot,still having problems in the second triumphal part beginning on measure 17, and I am also having a hard time memorizing the "Um poco meno mosso" section, because of the different left hand movement. I am also very desperate because I am having trouble working the pedals throughout the piece! On measure 17, I am having trouble on the octaves of the first measure. It is indeed a wonderful piece, but I did not know it would give me so much work!

I will be glad if someone with experience on the piece or anyone with suggestions could help me.

Cordially,
                                                           Mario Barbosa  :)

Feel free to follow my music blog! themusicalcause.blogspot.com[/url]

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Prelude op 25 N 3
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 09:31:07 PM
         Hello, this is Mario and I just want to make one question: Is there a good technique for the prelude in G minor by Rachmaninoff, so you can memorize it fast, with no technical problems? I have been studying the piece for about a month now and every time I try to play it I have to warm up for a long time. I have to memorize it by the end of this week to play in a competition, but I practice a lot,still having problems in the second triumphal part beginning on measure 17, and I am also having a hard time memorizing the "Um poco meno mosso" section, because of the different left hand movement. I am also very desperate because I am having trouble working the pedals throughout the piece! On measure 17, I am having trouble on the octaves of the first measure. It is indeed a wonderful piece, but I did not know it would give me so much work!

I will be glad if someone with experience on the piece or anyone with suggestions could help me.

Cordially,
                                                           Mario Barbosa  :)

The best advice I can give you is to recommend that you save yourself the grief and forget about the competition.  Even if you memorize it by the end of the week, there is no way you will win.  If the jury even slightly knows what they're doing, they will see right through it.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert