Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Prelude and Fugue in E Major  (Read 4754 times)

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Prelude and Fugue in E Major
on: February 23, 2005, 02:13:16 AM
So! I am beginning to learn Bach's Prelude and Fugue in E Major, Book 1, No.9 and I am having some difficulty with the fugue. The middle voice switches frequently between hands, but i am not quite sure where to play with which hand. If anyone could help me that would be great!

Thanks!

(Hmmmm...... this is kind of a longshot isn't it?)
Medtner is my god.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Re: Prelude and Fugue in E Major
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:19:21 PM
Look at the fingering. the fingering will indicate what hand should be playing where.

boliver allmon

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 03:25:14 PM
Look at the fingering. the fingering will indicate what hand should be playing where.

boliver allmon

The fingering indicated in the edition you posted is not bad and pretty straight forward. In general, the fingerings indicated below the notes should be played with the lh, and those above the notes with rh.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline dongsang153

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:52:05 AM
i'm playing this piece, too!  i have great fingerings, but mind you, for a girl, i have long fingers so you might have to adjust come of these accordingly...

m 8 - starting with the 9th 16th note 41, 32, 41 then use your left hand for the bottom note and right hand for the top 53, 32, 41, 52, 3

m 10 - play the e (second eight note on the rh) with you left hand

m 22 - use the right and for top note and left hand for bottom note only on the 4th and 5th 16th notes  the fingering from the beginning of the measure goes like this 41, 32, 41, 12, 31, 42, 53, 2, 1, 2, 51, 42, 51, 2, 1, 3,

i hope this makes sense...these are the hardest parts of the piece.  i can give you the fingering for the rest of the notes, if you'd like. 

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 08:55:58 AM
What a coincidence! Thanks alot for helping, I really apreciate it! Ill check out those fingering right now! I had lost hope in this topic..... Thanks!
Medtner is my god.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert