Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Good looking pianists  (Read 10547 times)

Offline dreamaurora

• PS Silver Member
Good looking pianists
on: April 19, 2003, 03:37:36 PM
Hmm, which pianists do you guys thing have that good marketable good looks. Seems like nowadays to really go into the masses is to have good looks as well. Can recommend a pretty female pianist that is pretty enough to be pinned up as a poster  ;D ?

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Good looking pianists
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 12:59:20 AM
Hey thats really funny dreamaurora!  ;D
Well, do you know Argerich? she is quite old now but she used to be pretty when she was young. Uchida is a female pianist.
Ashkenazy used to be considered very handsome. But he's old now too....  :-/
Evgeny Kissin??
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline ciocia_fifi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 01:32:52 AM
i ve just seen martha argerich life, and she s still terrific- she plays like a godess, and looks like some statue or sth.. she s gotTHAT soecial thing, that u cannot name , which makes here so special and irrepplecable!!
but its interesting 2 discuss that, espsly nowadays, when even the classical music becomes sth commercial. some of my friends advised me 2 add some naked calendar 2 my 1st cd ;D but seriously:this is a part of business: just imagine some musical ignorant who is supposed 2 buy some cd , just 2 impress the others (which is typical:((.. ) ;would he choose a label with some old guy ( no matter how great he plays), or with some young, blonde chick with big...smile ;) be realistic!!  :D
...even if I'm not right...;)

Offline Helen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 03:40:09 AM
What about musicians who aren't pianists?

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 06:14:15 AM
Horowitz was considered handsome when he was younger as well.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 06:16:30 AM
sapphire,

About musicians who aren't pianists - maybe Chet Baker?  He did the trumpet.  He was considered very handsome in his time but gradually took on drugs.  Before that, he was at the peak of his career but depression caught up.  He died when he was only thirty-something.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline dreamaurora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2003, 07:06:22 PM
Hmm, how about the Russian pianist , Nikolai Lugansky. I think he got the killer look that a lot of ladies will kill for . Evgeny Kissin has that charming boyish look. Then there is this chinese pianist Li Yundi that is Takuya Kimura ( a very famous Japanese actore ) lookalike. Hmm, somehow , I don't dig Martha Argerich, she looks...too serious. Hmm, i remember seeing this advertisement on gramophone magazine about this cd by this french female pianist. She looks really cute, she play rachamaninov etude tableux on the cd, hmm, can someone tell who she is. Or any more chinese or japanese pianists to recommend. I am a chinese, so naturally i will like that asian look. Hmm, speaking of japanese pianist, Noriko Ogawa don't look bad, but she's getting older too.

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2003, 09:00:22 PM
Piano playing per se is not conducive to retaining good looks.  Most people when young whether pianists or not look quite presentable but pianists as they age may develop that myopic look from reading all those notes and the posture may sag through hours and hours of sitting at the keyboard and lack of exercise.  The complexion may sallow after years of sitting indoors at the piano.
If we are looking for sexy glamour then we should become sports stars or actors.  
More importantly however, the pianist acquires a life long accomplishment and a cultural and intellectual acquisition that will  outlive superficial looks which are on the downward slope after 30.
Regards,
Robert.

Offline ciocia_fifi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2003, 10:48:35 PM
u r absolutely right tosca, but we still have 2 face the realities - the business is cruel sts ! and its such a paranoia: being a young , lets say- quite pleasant 4 the eyes of d audience:) chick, i am confrotated with different reactions. what i really hate, is when pple look at me and then judge: nooo, shes 2 hot 2 be a deep-thinking, analysing individual... and then , if i want 2 "hide"myself  beyond d music, i hear some voices- hey girl, u gotta be noticable, u r a product of marketing! thats sick.  :P
lets forget abt it. some dffrnt thing i wanted 2 ask: would u agree that being with music, (growing up in this fantastic world which combines the emotions, philosophy and beauty)- can influence not only our soul&mind, but also our facial features&behaviour? again: its based on my experiences-nb ever imagines that im only 20, by looking at me. espclly when i play. music has created me as a human being........

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 04:18:06 AM
I don't think looks are important in a pianist at all.  As Robert said, if you want to have a career based on looks, you should go for an actress or something along that line.

ciocia_fifi,

In regards to what you said about people thinking, "no, she's too hot to be a deep thinking, analyzing individual," then perhaps it is them that are the superficial ones, to be labeling you before you even play a single note.

To me, playing the piano is about making music, not about how good you look.

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 11:07:42 AM
Hey, yes, its about music.
But dreamaurora just wanted to know which pianists are good looking....

Well, lets see...... Franz Liszt!  ;D
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline jeff

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 01:00:53 PM
i think edwin fischer was good looking
argerich is pretty

Offline ciocia_fifi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 01:46:54 AM
u r right amee, i shouldnt take care about those superficial jerks ;) thats their problem... but maybe its the problem of many men in general? ::)
anw, here a talk  about sexism, feminism and so on begins....and thats no mo more the topic here, is it?:)

Offline robert_henry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2003, 09:10:25 AM
Helene Grimaud.  She is beautiful.

Robert Henry

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2003, 11:45:29 AM
Alexandre Tharaud is young and handsome. He's a French pianist!
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2003, 10:04:08 PM
The Eroica Trio. Poor girls got negatively pegged by their good looks, but they really are first rate musicians. The pianist of the trio coached me in chamber music all throughout high school and she was wonderful.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2003, 08:03:24 AM
Jonathan Aner of the Tel Aviv Trio... plus they've got a really cute violinist Matan givol!!! And Ira Givol is like a god with glasses
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline dreamaurora

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2003, 04:02:55 AM
Thanks a lot , Robert_Henry, Helene Grimaud is the French pianist i referred to on my first post. Hmm, on a side note , I do think that good looks do matter nowadays in this classical world. The younger audience is really into the eye candy and flash factor.

Offline PoSeiDoN

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2003, 10:30:01 PM
I'm not gay, so I cannot speak from a personal point of view.  But I did hear that Paderewski was quite the ladies' man in his day.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2003, 07:02:33 AM
;DJOSH GROBAN can play the piano? i saw his concert on tv and he plays well.

David Foster says he plays the piano really GOOD.

will that count?  ???

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 07:19:20 PM
Did you ever see Ivo Pogorelich? He's really handsome...
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach

Offline R.Q.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 01, 2003, 02:15:51 AM
Obviously none of you have seen me...

~ Young Virtuoso
~R. Q.

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 02:34:43 AM
Richard Claderman (sp?)
his good looks is what got him to the fame he has now.  he is also fairly filthy rich, tho hes not a good pianist.  i bought a recording, and it was horrible.  he basically played a watered down version of famous music, with an orchestral ensemble accompanying him.  heh...
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2003, 05:48:29 AM
Helene Grimaud is the obvious example, as for the guys I know a few people into Peter Jablonski ::)
Ed

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2003, 08:58:35 AM
Good looking pianists?  Not in THIS town!  And whoever said that Nicolai Lugansky was hot must be a guy!  As a FEMALE, I think he's too skinny and pompous looking to be a real date!
So much music, so little time........

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2003, 12:59:49 AM
hey rock on youngvirtuoso, i must say i think i look better than all those famous guys 2 :)
rach on!

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2003, 01:31:48 AM
::) :-X
So much music, so little time........

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2003, 08:30:34 PM
wouldn't be cool if britney spears played the piano??  she is hot!  I could see her incorperating dance moves with her piano playing.  many possibilities with that bench!
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline TwinkleFingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: September 06, 2003, 08:33:10 PM
Billy Joel is the Bomb!! :-X hehe LOL
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: September 06, 2003, 08:40:48 PM
ROFL

Helene Grimaud rocks!

And what about myself.. :P Ok, no comments please. lets' not turn this into "hotornot"..

mei-ting
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: September 07, 2003, 02:47:20 AM
Norah Jones and Diana Krall,
Ed

Offline amp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: September 11, 2003, 04:11:16 AM
Nadia Cole

BTW, anybody heard of her? I happen to pick up a CD of hers.
amp

Offline arietteisclassical

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 03:14:14 PM
I don't think looks are important in a pianist at all.  As Robert said, if you want to have a career based on looks, you should go for an actress or something along that line.

ciocia_fifi,

In regards to what you said about people thinking, "no, she's too hot to be a deep thinking, analyzing individual," then perhaps it is them that are the superficial ones, to be labeling you before you even play a single note.

To me, playing the piano is about making music, not about how good you look.
That's right!

Offline josh93248

Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 03:19:59 PM
Yuja Wang is fairly hot.

But I'd say looks are fairly unimportant. Richter is one of my favourites and in this video he rather looks like frankenstein bopping about.

I'd also say Cziffra has a certain handsomeness perhaps. But I love 100% for his playing.
Care to see my playing?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqAtDI8LYOZ2ZzvEwRln7A/videos

I Also offer FREE PIANO LESSONS over Skype. Those who want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:06 PM
That's right!

I'm sure that person who hasn't logged in since 2003 is happy you're backing her up.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 06:21:03 PM
If she has not died of old age.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline stevensk

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:55 PM

Alicia Keys...Lady Gaga

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 03:28:44 AM
I'm sure that person who hasn't logged in since 2003 is happy you're backing her up.

HAHA!  :D

he rather looks like frankenstein

Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster.  ;D
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline alistaircrane4

Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
Rafal Blechacz is good looking. Yuja Wang is incredible. Not to mention the fact that the young Martha Argerich was fire. Young Samson Francois was known for looks as well as a young Michelangeli.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 06:37:56 PM
All I have to say is, this is an example of MAJOR bump to a forum thread...

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 02:40:06 AM
I don't like to discuss stuff like this as I feel that I am objectifying them, and their purpose for performing is not to show off their looks... Even though I've responded to this, all artists should be known (and probably want to be known) for their musical legacy, above everything else

but Yuja Wang is... you know... and the young Argerich was quite attractive... Khatia Buniatishvilli would be quite sexy if she actually played well .____. many people think Grimaud is attractive.....

as for men, my Chinese friends fangirl over Yundi Li; I would think young Horowitz and Lipatti (who died far too young). And indeed, Samson Francois was known quite a bit for his "glamorous" lifestyle of drugs and tobacco (which is also a drug in itself...)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert