Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Lowell Liebermann's "Gargoyles"  (Read 6497 times)

Offline Radix

• PS Silver Member
Lowell Liebermann's "Gargoyles"
on: February 27, 2005, 05:28:16 PM
Has anyone ever heard or played this piece?  It's comprised of four very short movements; the first and fourth sound extremely technically difficult; the second and third are slower and beautiful.  I think it would work well as a recital ender, or even an encore piece.

I'm planning on buying the sheet music, and just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions on playing this great little piece.

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Re: Lowell Liebermann's "Gargoyles"
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 08:04:53 PM
I LOVE this piece.  Haven't played it though.  I think the last movement would kill me.  It is too big for me to tackle at my current level of proficiency.  I do have the sheet music for it, and I highly recommend Stephen Hough's recording.  The first movement is very fast and light (mostly light), and there is some cross rhythms - mostly 3 against 5, but some others.  The second is very slow and calls for very soft dynamics throughout.  Some of the voicing is tricky, but otherwise not difficult technically.  The third is so gorgeous and flowing with arpeggios and the melody throughout.   On the second half there is some challenging voicing when you have several different layers.  The fourth is toccata-like and it is my favorite - it is very exciting.  There are lot of big fast chordal sections, some broken octaves covering 3 or four octaves, and in general the piece is all over the keyboard.  Tremendous finish.  Good luck with the piece!
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline Radix

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:26 AM
Thanks! Yeah, Stephen Hough's is the recording I've been listening to.  Those extremely wide broken octaves in the fourth movement sound nightmarishly difficult; Hough's really got a fantastic technique.

Offline Alfonso Van Worden

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 02:43:13 AM
Hello! I am a new member, and I have to say that I completely agree, Liebermann is one of the best composers of our time,and I agree,Hough´s recordind is the best one Haven´t you heard the piano concertos? There is a recording of Sthepen Hough, This CD has two piano concertos and other pieces.I´m playing the Gargoyles righ now, I´m going to play them on my final examination(for my college) and in my country nobody plays Liebermann´s music, is very frustrating... and try to guess where do I live?...... I´m from Mexico.(sorry for the incorrect English)
Music should not be "Ur-text" , it should be "Ur-spirit"            
                                         -Dinu Lipatti

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 04:02:31 AM
Yes, I've heard either the second or third movement, I can't remember which, and looked through the other three. The first and fourth do sound horribly difficult, but I don't know how pianistic they are. Yes, my post didn't contribute anything to the development of the thread.

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 04:50:49 PM
For anyone interested, he has other piano works.  His 3 Impromptu's won a composer award at one of the Van Cliburn competitions.  He has a couple sonatas, and several nocturnes.  I am playing one of his nocturnes right now.  They are not as difficult as Gargoyles, but by no means easy.  David Korevaar is working recording Liebermann's complete solo piano works, but obviously Liebermann is still alive and composing.
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert