Piano Forum

Topic: you or them?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
you or them?
on: March 04, 2005, 04:13:39 AM
When you are playing chamber pieces, who gets to decide more on interpretation?  Like for instance in the Shostakovich Piano Quintet Op. 57, my theory is it's called a PIANO quintet.  They want to add little trills etc. and crap like that and make little tiny differences, especially in piano and forte, but it's a PIANO quintet, and i think it's bad manners for them to try to make any special interpretations or changes the pianist isnt comfortable with.  But there are 4 of them and one pianist.  who should get the final word?

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: you or them?
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 05:37:19 AM
Just because it's called a "piano" quintet doesn't mean it's all about the pianist.  There should be give and take between all players and let the music decide.  I don't think it's like a piano concerto where it's a piano solo accompanied by other musicians.  It's a group effort, and each part is as important as the next.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 05:40:31 AM
yes i know, but they dont seem to want to compromise anywhere.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:01:22 AM
What's the education/experience level of all the musicians?  Perhaps they know things about interpreting the piece of which you are not aware, I dunno.   I do know that if you keep the attitude that any tiny changes have to be ok'd by the pianist, you will not be playing with them for long.  Try and understand why they are changing things up.  Ask them to justify their interpretation, but don't try and make the ensemble revolve around yourself.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 12:12:58 PM
Chamber music is a bit about compromise all around you have to agree or it will show through in the performance. Maybe a middle ground has to be found. Check the reliability of what they are basing their decisions on it is NOT acceptible to add ornaments in that music just on a whim! >:( BUT if they have intellectual and historically researched reasons then you can enter discussion about it! In this work the piano is by no means insignificant and you DO have to guard against the string players hoping against hope that the pianist will just crumple under the pressure! BE strong but Reasonable and flexible but expect the same from them too - its a partnership!!!!   Good luck mate!

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:13:04 PM
Sounds like you all need to learn teamwork.

Usually the first violin is the leader, but when  a chamber group with piano is less clear cut.

Whoever has more weight in deciding the interpretation has nothing to do with a piece being called "piano quintet." After decisions about bowing have a lot to do with the interpretation of the piece, and you aren't going to tell them how to bow, are you?

If you have a sound musical reason for your interpretation - or why their interpretation is wrong - argue your case, and compromise. Manners have nothing to do with it.

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 04:18:51 PM
This to me is one of the great sadnesses of the music world. Chamber music is so cool but it has one flaw - it's a social one.

First of all, there are LOTS of pieces where the piano part is HARD, but the other parts are EASY, like they can show up with their music and sight read through it (you can tell they haven't practiced), but YOU had to work for six months before you could even show up.  no matter how well informed you are about the piece, and no matter how IMPORTANT the piano part is certain area, YOU WILL JUST BE THE PIANO PLAYER.

No joke. Myteacher said to just get used to it.  You will be viewd as "accompaniment" to them regardless of the nature of the parts.  Total bummer, eh?
So much music, so little time........

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 04:40:19 PM
I'm going to go against everyone else and recommend that the pianist "run" the rehearsal.  Especially in a piano trio, quar-, quin-, or sextet, the pianist will have the most rhythmically and musically important part.

Take the Poulenc sextet.  Every one of the wind instruments is disposable.  But if you take out the piano, it suddenly sounds empty.

The pianist, in addition, has no control over the intonation of his/her instrument, whereas the other instruments will.  It is thus the pianist's responsibility to have a meticulous ear and guide the other instrumentalists in their intonation.

All of this is feedback I got from a recent master class.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 04:41:48 PM
no matter how well informed you are about the piece, and no matter how IMPORTANT the piano part is certain area, YOU WILL JUST BE THE PIANO PLAYER.

No joke. Myteacher said to just get used to it.  You will be viewd as "accompaniment" to them regardless of the nature of the parts.  Total bummer, eh?

I don't think you can make a sweeping judgment that covers all chamber pieces.  The pianist's status as "accompanist" or not depends entirely on the piece. 

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 04:43:35 PM
I feel that there should be give and take, but that someone should have final word.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 05:21:51 PM
each member of the group has to have the same rights (regardless of their instrument or level). each person should have the right to express an opinion (and argue why it should be like this). ultimately, there is a compromise everyone can live with.

(all the above, based on personal experience)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 06:44:38 PM
yeah, everyone should be able to voice and opinion, but if you don't have a pecking order then chaos will result. my experience at least tells me this. The one who has the final say can't be a dictator either otherwise mutiny will result.

boliver
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert