Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: being in despare  (Read 2272 times)

Offline jono

• PS Silver Member
being in despare
on: March 05, 2005, 02:31:24 PM
Hi.
Allow me to wine a bit.

My right forearm is sore (which you might have read in another thread) since a couple of weeks. There is nobody I can consult about what to do about it near where i live. This i have already written.

So now i wonder: what the **** am i supposed to do? Since not-playing piano haven't helped so far (tryed some playing a couple of days ago), should I do something, and in that case WHAT? Or should i just continue not playing?

I've been reading notes these past weeks when I haven't been able to play, but it's becoming rather boring...   If I go to a person like a good physiotherapeut who knows about musicians injuries, what am I most likely going to hear? "Don't play piano for x weeks"? "Eat these pills"?   Is there really nothing I can do? Could someone who perhaps has experience from injuries/ something simular tell me what i can do?   Would be very appreciated!    /Jono
Listening to Debussy is like having a midnight bath in a lukewarm augustlake

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Re: being in despare
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 05:15:54 PM
have you been playing debussy, or some composer who writes in a lot of notes (one after the other) with no rests?  i'm not a doctor, but the bach english suite is written like that (note after note) and when i started practicing on it, my forearms ached too.  with pieces like that, (dr. pianonut speaking) i think you have to go by feel.  is your arm aching because you are playing so many notes, using the wrong technique, or needing to play other repertoire for a while and come back to that one.

i would still practice 'easier' pieces - with caution.  massage your arm with your other hand (very gently), and as often as you can...do the dishes.  just resting your arms in warm water greatly relaxes the muscles.  there is a balm called 'tiger balm' in the health food store, also, that is good for achiness.  maybe this will save you the cost of going to the doctor?!  sometimes, other things you do with your hands might be the cause, too.  computer use, (for me)gardening, opening jars, picking up heavy objects.  once you have a sprain or pulled muscle, i think you do have to stop doing what you're doing for a week or two to heal.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline zalmanesd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:47:07 AM
I would suggest practicing with your left hand instead.  After playing Rach 2 for several hours I had the same problem the next day (right arm sore).  So I used the opportunity to improve my left hand (which is much worse than my right unfortunetely.)

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 04:41:50 AM
I have this problem on ocassion.  Usually it happens when I am concentrating on a new difficult section and not paying attention to the 'danger signs".  Always it means I am doing something wrong technically. 

I find that if I am going to have one of "those" practice sessions, I take 2 aspirins before I start.  That keeps it from getting bad on most ocassions.  Unfortunately, because it's caused by "wrong" technique of some kind it kind of builds uip slowly over time to a point where it hurts quite a bit.  i have a massage therapist who works it out really well, and a day afterwards I can start the whole incorrect process over again.

Actually, I have always had problems with my right forearm through various sports things. 
So much music, so little time........

Offline bachmaninov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:35:33 AM
Well stay away from Schumann's Tocatta - Your arm will probably fall off on that piece  8)

But yeah, I had the same problem with the Allegro in Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 (the catchy popular tune)

The right hand is constant exhausting octaves. This piece taught me how to play with my wrist more rather than using arm force... Thank you mr.liszt!

Offline Steve T

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 12:02:43 AM
Sounds like you could have the start of an RSI (repetitive Strain Injury). Rest is often recommended, but it's not the only solution. Too much rest is the slowest way to recover from most sports style injuries.
I'd try to warm up slowly, perhaps use warm water to soak you hands before playing. Limit the time you play difficult passages.
If it hurts STOP, take a break, and then try playing something that doesn't cause the pain.
Self help includes using ice packs (frozen peas are good) for 5 minutes on the injured spot 3 times per day. Don't play on the day you do this (oh, and don't eat the peas once they,ve been thawed and refrozen..mark the bag!). Be careful and don't leave it more than 10 minsor you might freeze the skin...not nice!
Anti inflamatories / pain killers (Ibuprofen) can help, but don't use them to 'mask' the pain so you can play. That's just switching off your body's own warning of damage...ie pain. That would make it much worst and could cause a long term problem.
Build slowly your intensity of playing difficult passages. Use pain as a sign you went too far, take a day off, use the ice, then go back to easier stuff and build it up again.
Every so often (like once a month), make sure you completely rest (no piano) for at least 2 - 4 days, depending on how many hours a day you practice. Give your body a chance to repair and relax.
It's about listening to your body. It will tell you (as it just did) if you're overdoing it.
I'd suggest checking out any tension you may have in your hands, wrists, arms, shoulders, back, neck or mind while playing. Relaxation is the key, combined with progressive resistance. This story explains:
A young boy on a farm picks up and carries a baby bull on his shoulders each day. Because it's a baby, he can carry it easily. As the weeks and months pass, the bull grows, steadily, as do the boy's muscles. The body compensates for SMALL and gradual increases in resistance by growing stronger (or more flexible if stretching is the aim). After two years the boy can lift the full grown bull as easily as he lifted it as a baby. Just as the bull didn't notice itself growing little by little, so the boy didn't notice the incremental increases in his strength.
Good luck.

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 02:00:15 AM
tis true what the person above me posted..

the reason i bumped this thread..i came across it while searching..i strained ligaments or tendons (not entirely sure due to the complexity in the wrist)...i was doing octave jumps and my technique was horribly wrong (learned from my mistake)...i overstrained myself and felt a pop..i then knew i had done it..*sigh*..nonetheless..its been a little over a week since my injury..

i know that if i go to a doctor..they will just give me a splint..tell me to ice and perhaps give me some aspirin..and even if i go to a specialized anatomical physician...the most they can do is ultra sound and tissue stimulation to increase bloodflow...

i cant stress this enough when it comes to injuries, people are so fixated with the "rest" part of healing an injury and overlook the REALLY IMPORTANT stage...REHABILITATION..one cant just splint a limb and expect their body and some tylenol to take it from there...too much rest is bad...sure the injury may be cleared up after a long rest..but atrophy has also taken its toll and significantly weakened that specific limb..thus making one prone to reinjury or soreness..which makes the person come to the conclusion that their limb hasnt healed correctly or completely..then they get aggravated etc etc...

with the wrist...i wouldnt suggest jumping straight back into piano after a wrist injury..thats not what im doing..i'd rather not take the risk..some people say "well just start on slow and easy pieces and work your way up" but how realistic is that?..ocne one puts their hands on the piano..a very enthusiastic pianist who is passionate about his music will surely seep into the average pieces he was working on before..the ones which injured him....

i pretty much am almost done with the primary healing stages of my wrist injury and will begin rehabilitating it with stretches and light tension work supinating and luxating..rotation..etc...another reason why i dont like jumping straight back into piano even if its babysteps after an injury..because after rest..not only is teh injured part prone to injury..but the entire wrist can be more prone to stress because of atrophy and being innactive for so long...

in my opinion it is also very foolish to focus entirely on whatever tissue suffered the injury regardless of how miniscule the tendon/ligament is...one should really take into acount the wrist as a whole...i take injury very seriously because my ignorance to injuries and their importance robbed me of my passion a few years ago..so now...the slightest pain raises a brow......ah now im just rambling...

holy crap i think this is my first actual informative post... :-*
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline pianonut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 02:11:33 AM
so sorry to hear that your wrist is causing you trouble.  hope it gets better soon.  and, that you have informed doctors that know what to do and how much or little use is good.

i learned a lot of good stuff the past couple of years, and truly feel that some piano teachers can show you how to play effortlessly and minimize the strain that you think you have to put into a difficult piece.  little things can make a big difference.
do you know why benches fall apart?  it is because they have lids with little tiny hinges so you can store music inside them.  hint:  buy a bench that does not hinge.  buy it for sturdiness.

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 01:24:30 AM
I think that is your first informativel postf!  I'm proud of you Husky!
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline mikeyg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 01:33:45 AM
I think that is your first informativel postf!  I'm proud of you Husky!

This weeks sigh of the apocolypse.
I want an Integra.  1994-2001.   GSR.  If you see one, let me know.

www.johncareycompositions.com/forum

Offline mikeyg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 01:34:57 AM
double post...

party hard.
I want an Integra.  1994-2001.   GSR.  If you see one, let me know.

www.johncareycompositions.com/forum

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 03:10:03 PM
i was in despare too, 6 years ago. like you, my right arm hurt badly. i was very discouraged, when i found out that the pain had spread wider to my upper arm and lingered to parts of the back. i could hardly pracitice more than 10 minutes and there was always pain ( burning sensation ) when i did.

yeah, those were due to bad technique! i was very fortunate to have a new teacher who then fixed this problem pretty much permanently in 2 weeks. i have NOT had any soreness from practicing in the past six years.

correct, to give yourself plenty of rest is a good, and is a must in this case. however, it does not guarantee that you will be cured up permanently. lets face it, sooner or later, when you feel better, you will get back to your regular practice. and IF you dont fix your bad habits, then it is GUARANTEED that you will have the same problem. in fact, it can easily get worse

you MUST discard your bad habits, and aqcuire healthy technique! the sooner, the better ( before more soreness and damages take place )!! it is the one way that will lead you to a physically pain free experience in your long journey of piano playing.

so who was this teacher who had set tds free from pain and desperation? ...heh, actually, i am more inclined to tell you where my teacher had acquired this practicable knowledge from. yeah, the knowledge of natural, healthy playing, or the knowledge of a technique that free up all unnecessary tensions. he went to ms. taubman when he had injuries.

if you browse the net and search for taubman technique, it will give you the website and great many information about this technique. you will also read numerous injury related witnesses in which they are most encouraging. lastly, i would suggest that you take lessons from one of the taubman experts.

well, talking from a personal experience. good luck and all the best, tds

* my first informative post *heh

dignity, love and joy.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert