Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn Piano Concerto in g minor  (Read 5968 times)

Offline chopinguy

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn Piano Concerto in g minor
on: March 09, 2005, 01:32:15 AM
Hi everyone!

Has anyone here learned this concerto?  What advice would you give on learning it?  Thanks a bunch!  ;)

chopinguy

Offline abe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn Piano Concerto in g minor
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 03:13:21 AM
I finished with the concerto a little over a month ago. The first movement that is, and sort of looked at the second movement. The first movement doesn't have too many troubles, most of it fits right into the fingers. The arpeggio section starting after E (pg. 10 for Schirmer's edition) and continuing basically to the end of the movement is the spot that caused me the most trouble. Make sure you get good fingerings and practice it slowly. Do NOT tense up in this section because that will prevent the right hand from playing evenly and to speed in rythm. I can only suggest slow metronome practice for this section with steady fingers.
The very hardest part for me of this movement is 5 after K (pg. 16), and i guess just practice slowly again. The parallel arperggio run at L isn't too bad, and speed comes with slow, persistent practice. This movement is a fun one to play (although by now I am thoroughly sick of it), just always stay loose.
The third movement has similar arpeggios, but faster, so it's probably a bit harder than the first movement.
Good Luck!

--Abe
--Abe

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:11:21 AM
I find this concerto to be one of the easier ones to memorize and perform.  I would not consider it a "difficult" concerto. 

Offline chopinguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 02:04:16 PM
Ok, thats good, since I'm trying to learn the whole thing over the spring and let it rest over the summer so that it'll be ready to go by the fall.  Actually, it was either going to be this one or the Schumann concerto, and I'm planning to take on another harder concerto after this one.

Offline abe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 12:36:16 AM
Schumanns a lot harder IMO.
--Abe
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert