Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: My student is NOT grasping music concepts  (Read 1878 times)

Offline keynote88

• PS Silver Member
My student is NOT grasping music concepts
on: April 21, 2003, 10:10:17 PM
Hello fellow teachers! Hope your week is going good.
My 8 year old beginner student (see "Student Getting Bored at piano lessons") is doing better, she seems to be enjoying her lessons more. However, last week at her lesson she couldn't identify the keys on the piano (example. "Show me a 'G' and she would play an 'A'). I might point out that she has 4 more songs left in her Alfred's Basic Piano Level 1A book. She should, by now, know exactly where a 'G', etc. is on the keyboard. What should I do? I don't know if it was just a "bad" day or what, but it's frustrating because one week she'll do very well and some weeks she plays like she has only had a couple of lessons (she started in August 2002, by the way). So, what should I do? She uses several books at her lessons: Technic, Lesson, Recital, Theory, & Notespeller. You would think that she would have a well-rounded curriculum. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, is there a teacher out there who DOES use Alfred's Basic Piano Library and who has had successful results with it? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

keynote88: piano teacher

Offline teacher

• PS Silver Member
Re: My student is NOT grasping music concepts
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 08:51:06 AM
Hello, yes, I used Alfred's a few years ago and it worked well with my students.  I find the teacher's guide very useful for teaching this method.  Have you looked at it?

Do you know if your student reviews what she has learned at the lesson at home?  does she practice?  

I always suggest that my students practice a immediately after the lesson because they can forget so much of what you have taught them as the week goes by.   If they have to only practice a few days/week, I tell them to practice the first few days rather than the last few days.   From my own experience this really makes a difference to how much one retains.

Also, practicing is one thing, but using their brain is another.  I always say to the student, make sure you practice with your brain.   Many times, she may just not want to use her brain which maybe why she seems to forget.

Offline teacher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 08:58:02 AM
Also, do you use more than one book?  I usually do a variety of things because kids get bored with just one thing.  

For instance, my current 8 year old beginner is using

- Celebrate Piano book as the main method book
-a Dozen a day for warm-ups (technique, but i don't call it technique)
- flashcards for drills on reading notes and rhythms
- supplementary "song" book which i teach by rote so he can play something quickly, use his ear and take a break from reading.
- i also made little flashcards with single notes.  The cards are  the width of a piano key.   They are all in a box, and he has to take the card and match it to the key on the piano.   He gets rewarded with fake piano dollars if he gets them all correct.

With all this variety, it's hard for him to get bored 'cause i keep changing to the next thing if he starts looking bored.

Also, praise is important if they doing something well.   It is very motivating for young students.

Offline teacher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:03:27 AM
Sorry, i just re-read your posting.   sounds like you do use more than one book and it's a well-rounded curriculum.

perhaps try using more visual aids like flashcards, there's also a movable note staff that you can buy in most music stores, or even some worksheets.

visual aids are different and usually peek their interest.  also, i believe in a small reward system.

for example, instead of having her use the technic book, vary technique by giving her exercises like playing 3 notes with fingers 3, 4, 5 and see if she can balance a candy on top of her hand.  if she can, then she gets to keep the candy.   using 3, 4, 5 helps strengthen the weaker fingers.

Offline keynote88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 11:32:44 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the ideas and suggestions. I'll try what you said about flashcards and the "balancing candy act" it seems really neat.   :)  Hopefully, she will improve. Some weeks, she does really well, and others well like I said, maybe she'll improve!  :D  Once again, thanks again!

keynote88: piano teacher

Offline Jo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 12:46:59 PM
I was reading the other day that the most important part of musical education happens at home when the student practises.

I'd start by asking the child to tape every practise session for a week and then listen to them. Write instructions in a homework book and make them read the instructions out on the tape before they play.

I'm actually about to start trialling this now. Will be interesting to see if it makes a scrap of difference.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert