Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: HELP!!!Question Regarding Purchase Steinway or M&H  (Read 2115 times)

Offline GeorgeNYC

• PS Silver Member
HELP!!!Question Regarding Purchase Steinway or M&H
on: April 28, 2003, 02:06:29 AM
   I am currently in the market to purchase a Grand.  I have found three grands that I enjoy very much.

First, a 1961 Steinway M Centennial (restored, the hammers are the original) and includes a PD system.  It’s a beauty and asking 36,500.  

Second, a New M&H model A...this has a wonderful sound and asking 34,500.  

Lastly, a 1929 M&H Model T (fully restored) and asking 25,800

.  All three have a wonderful warmth and clarity.  Here are my questions:  

1) In comparison…which is the better piano.
2) In regards to the M&H A and the Steinway…which is better long    
term.
3) Are these prices to high and how would I go about realistically to make a better deal.  (The Steinway already has the PD system… for free basically).
4) PLEASE GIVE ME ANY THOUGHTS YOU MIGHT HAVE…

Thanks…George  

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: HELP!!!Question Regarding Purchase Steinway or
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 06:22:01 AM
Hi George:

My own preference would be to buy a Baldwin L1 rather than the Steinway M or M&H A.  That aside, here are some questions and comments:

1) Does the 1961 Steinway still have the teflon action installed, or was it replaced with cloth bushings?

2) The new M&H is likely a fine instrument, and to my mind is the best bet here if you don't like Baldwin.

3) While I'm familiar with the M&H model A and BB, I am totally ignorant of the T.  Generally, though you need to get a complete explanation of "fully restored", as it means different things to different rebuilders.  You need the itemized list of what exactly was done.

See Larry Fine's The Piano Supplement Book for pricing info.  Also, you might want to post this same question on Piano World, as there are many technicians there who would rush to give you far more expert opinions than mine plus insights on prices.  Good luck!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert