Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Starting to teach  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Anton

• PS Silver Member
Starting to teach
on: March 19, 2005, 08:56:53 PM
Im a second year music student and from our second year we are required to teach a beginner.Altough they give us a bit of guidance im stil very clueless on this whole teahcing thing. What i would like to know is witch is the best way to teach a beginner.The middle c method or the multiple key aproach.
I feel thet the middle c method like the John Tompson books are the easiest to use but my student gets bored with it and after 2 or three months the child can omly play 5 notes in each hand. The only reason im not to fond of the multiple key aproach like the Bastienne books is cause i find them a bit confusing and im not sure if a 7 year old would be able to master it. But great thing about the bastiene books are that the child learns all the notes of the piano quicly and learns to play in diffrent keys and also learns to transpose at a early age .
What material do you use .is it better to use the best of both worlds.
I only started piano at 14 so i never used beginner books like that so i cant compare these methods and books to anything.
What do u suggest
kromtoon

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Re: Starting to teach
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 03:18:58 PM
I myself did the multiple key approach and use it as well on my student where some are 6-7 years old. The startup procedure is a bit longer comparing with the middle C but according to my experience, it pays off faster seen on a 6 months period.

Also, I would suggest to not follow a book strictly on such young students but to combine them with childrens pieces they like themselves. Make your own transcriptions and also, combine the learning with composing. Let them try to invent a little melody themselves. It might working inspiring on your students and inspiration is everything to young kids.
Also, at some occasion, don't even touch the piano but show them a video of a concert and let them talk about their piano playing and let them listen to your own stories about the old masters. Insert dreams into their minds ;-).
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)

Offline Lauren98

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:27:37 AM
Hello,
Anton, I really don't know which approach is better.  However, I used the Alfred books for the first five years of my piano lessons, and they use the Middle C approach, although they begin first on the black keys and quickly move to Middle C.  I am a beginning piano teacher myself (have taught for 5 months).  I used the Alfred books for one month, and then soon switched to a new method, Piano Town.  My one student that I use them with already knew enough to skip the Primer level so I don't know how it starts, but I do know that in Level 1 the student begins playing in three different keys and does some transposing as well.  I have enjoyed using these books and I recommend them.  I hope this helps! :)
Sincerely,
~Lauren~
"Truly there would be a reason to go mad were it not for music."--Tchaikovsky

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 01:02:56 PM
All students are not alike.  Therefore the same books may not be a win for all of your students.  I find the Bastien material fantastic for some and a complete bust for others.  Alfred is not a bad start.  However, I don't use lesson books after one and two.  The arrangements are too boring, and uninspiring.  You will find, as you teach, that the student will show you what works and doesn't work.  Relax about that.  It's actually quite fun.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert