Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Grades?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Timex

• PS Silver Member
Grades?
on: March 22, 2005, 10:40:12 PM
It might be a stupid question, but what's with the grade system? I really don't get it. I'm reading stuff about grades where people are in for the first time right here on the forum. What does it mean? How does it work?

I live in The Netherlands, and I've never heard about any grades or stuff like that. Never took any exams like some of you here (which I've alsof read in some topics..), and I really don't get it. Could somebody explain it to me?

I'm playing for about 10 years by now, and I've just started with Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptue Op. 66. What grade should I be in when I'm done with it, and what does it mean?

:-[ ::)

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grades?
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 03:56:05 AM
Hi, I'm from Canada.  Let's see where to start.... Here there are 10 grades plus an introductory level (kindergarten ;D), and then when you're done grade ten you can do "grade 11" which, when completed gets you a performers certificate.  At the end of each grade you can take an exam or your teacher can just put you into the next grade.  Only the grade 10 and 11 exams are manditory.  Each exam consists of sightreading, technique (scales, arpeggios, ect.), eartests (playing back tunes by ear, naming intervals, ect.), a couple studies or technical pieces, and a piece of repertoire from each style period (Baroque, Classical, ect.)  The higher the grade, the more pieces and style periods required.  Starting around grade six, there are also theory requirements as well which also have seperate exams.  After grade nine you also start taking music history and composition, analysis and stuff like that.  Most theory exams are manditory if you want the certificate saying you have totally completed that particular grade.  Basically, the whole thing is designed so that you not only play well, but that you have a well rounded knowledge of music, technique, and style periods.  The grading system is handy because, when you enter various competitions you are categorized with others in the same level.  Of course, you can choose not to go this route, but it's a good way to not miss anything important.  Oh, by the way, you don't necessarily have to do every grade.  When I started my teacher assessed me at grade 3, then I jumped to grade 6 (and did an exam), and after that I skipped to grade nine, where I am presently.  Waiting for my technique to get up to speed, and catching up the theory courses were the two hardest things about skipping so fast, but hey, God gets the credit for bringing me this far, and He's going to be the one to help me the rest of the way, so I just need to learn to do my best and not get so stressed out about all the work ;).
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline allthumbs

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 06:40:51 PM
The system of study that lagan refers to is under the auspices of The Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM), a music school based in Toronto, Ontario CANADA

https://www.rcmusic.ca/

As lagin stated there are 10 grades following an introductory level. Anyone completing the Grade 11 level, one would be confered with the ARCT Diploma carrying a  designation of "Associate of the Royal Conservatory of Music" and would be permitted to use the letters ARCT behind their name, say on a business card etc.

There is a Teacher's ARCT designation and a Performers ARCT designation. Both have slightly different requirements.

https://www.rcmexaminations.org

At about the Grade 5 level, there are co-requisite and pre-requisite exams in Theory and later Harmony, History, Counterpoint, Analysis depending on the grade level.

Anyway, the syllabus presented is varied and covers a wide range of musical eras and composers. The RCM piano books are available through the following publishing company -

The Frederick Harris Music Co., Limited
5865 McLaughlin Road, Unit 1
Mississauga, Ontario
L5R 1B8 Canada
(905) 501-1595

www.frederickharrismusic.com

Oh and by the way Fantasie-impromptu, Op.66 is at the ARCT level.

Cheers
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline marialice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:51:26 PM
Hi Timex,

I'm still trying to figure out the same question. There is a list of graded pieces somewhere on this site which gives a good indication about what the grade levels are. Don't forget though that we do have some kind of grade system ourselves, both the music schools and hafabra (harmonieorkesten, fanfares & brass bands) use exams A t/m D, which are usually taken after 2-3 years of lessons. The D exam is of a level comparable to the admission requirements of the conservatories (but a lot easier to pass).

Marielle

Offline pocorina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 07:59:28 PM
Hi, I'm from Canada.  Let's see where to start.... Here there are 10 grades plus an introductory level (kindergarten ;D), and then when you're done grade ten you can do "grade 11" which, when completed gets you a performers certificate. 

Wow, that is so bizzare. Very different here in England. We have eight grades, and then we have diplomas after that. For ABRSM (the main examining board) there are three levels of diploma. For each of those levels, there are three diplomas: Teaching, Performing, and Directing!
Wish I could fly like everyone...

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 12:01:41 AM
Pocorina!

I thought you were sick and had to leave?

Offline pocorina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 07:18:54 PM
Pocorina!

I thought you were sick and had to leave?

Correct. But if you go back to my "leaving because of TB" thread, you will see that i re-joined, because we have computers here in Scotland that we can use occassionally.
Wish I could fly like everyone...

Offline gezellig2005

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 01:14:01 PM
does Canada recognise the ABRSM??

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 03:11:26 PM
I don't know.  Does anyone want to take that?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert