Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Teaching history of music  (Read 2593 times)

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Teaching history of music
on: April 30, 2003, 06:07:06 PM
Hello everybody.

I plan to teach music history to my students (I don't think that piano practice is enough to make a good musician, and till now I've only taught music history, harmony and so forth on the go, never with a method).

That's my idea : prepare a lesson every month (one era at a time : I'm working now on medieval music) and study it with a proper support : a lesson on paper to study at home (history, composers at the time, harmonic developments of the era...), a CD where I would have recorded musical examples to illustrate the lesson, and from time to time, a side lesson about useful stuff (history of musical notation, performance, non Western music, sound production and tuning, nodal music...).

What do you guys think ? Does any of you teach that ? And how ? Any book to recommand ? What's your method ? Suggestions, please ?

Thank you.

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching history of music
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 10:14:06 AM
give a little info about each instruments' history, origin... then proceed to  musical eras... give only the most famous composers of an era and give the most common style used in that era... which instrument is widely played that era... etc.

i hope my suggestion is not so stupid...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 09:55:09 PM
I teach my students some music history, but it's generally something that just comes up... I dont' have a "lesson plan..." Like, when we talk about dynamics, I will sometimes explain how dynamics are produced, or explaing about harpsichords and the pianoforte... To get my students to learn about the composers, I have a "rewards" program in place... If they write an essay, or (depending on the age) just tell me about a composer's life, then they can "earn" points... That seems to work pretty well! I also oublish a monthly studio newsletter, and in that, I talk about music history, and instruments, and composers...

Anyway... That's what works pretty well for me!

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline tempest-Sonata

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 02:31:28 PM
i advice you to teach pure repetoire buy buy
and while teaching so you can insert information about the composer. in this way they are going to apreciate with information they are going to get because of the music that the composer produce.

ok about history after your student will be interested about that composer he/she will find their profile and suddenly they are goint to know that composer.
Look at my cute face at https://www.geocities.com/niporporot/3a.jpg
im the 5th boy from right to left in lowest lane

Offline khantallis123

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:16 AM
     My suggestion:
For Medieval Music, maybe write about neumes and how to convert them into standard notation(if they are higher level students ::)  Write about the unpleasant for the modern ear Gregorian Chants, but also about the melodic music of the troubadours, troubaritzes, trouveres, bards, minnesingers and minstrels. Give an example using sheet music (some beautiful troubadour melodies are Kalenda Maya and Quand Je Voi Yver Retorner.)

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 06:28:06 PM
     My suggestion:
For Medieval Music, maybe write about neumes and how to convert them into standard notation(if they are higher level students ::)  Write about the unpleasant for the modern ear Gregorian Chants, but also about the melodic music of the troubadours, troubaritzes, trouveres, bards, minnesingers and minstrels. Give an example using sheet music (some beautiful troubadour melodies are Kalenda Maya and Quand Je Voi Yver Retorner.)

But don't tell them that Gregorian chants are unpleasant to the modern ear. Let them decide for themselves.  My modern ears like Gregorian chant just fine.

Offline khantallis123

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:05:13 PM
One day really makes a difference. Now Gregorian Chant sounds beautiful to me. Maturing in 1 day.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:20 AM
Don't forget the Internet.  There is a wealth of material out there: period dances, period instruments, documentaries, and more.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert