Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: The Great Lang Lang Debate  (Read 1437 times)

Offline invsblmn

• PS Silver Member
The Great Lang Lang Debate
on: April 10, 2005, 04:53:56 AM
Besides the fact that he's supposed to be the next big thing, I've heard severe criticism of his interpretation and musicality. He has insane technicality, but I've heard that his performances of anything that's not by a 20th century Russian composer is mediocre (i.e. Mozart). Any opinions?

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Great Lang Lang Debate
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 06:04:10 AM
I just heard a live recording of Lang Lang playing Balakirev's Islamey and was very impressed by it.  There were a few parts that were a little dry, tonally speaking, but he presented a very imaginative performance of this work, I thought.  Technically, this work is 19th century... ;)
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:54:02 AM
I'll just say that while he has an excellent technique, he's using it too often in the wrong way. He can get very musical at times, and often to the contrary.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline Alde

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 05:12:52 PM
Besides the fact that he's supposed to be the next big thing, I've heard severe criticism of his interpretation and musicality. He has insane technicality, but I've heard that his performances of anything that's not by a 20th century Russian composer is mediocre (i.e. Mozart). Any opinions?

Not to disrespect Lang Lang but can we please give this topic a break!  All this publicity is making Lang Lang a very rich pianist.  There are thousands of other pianists to talk about.

You should try your search feature - this will eliminate repetitive comments.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert