Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: 10 best Beethoven sonatas  (Read 104990 times)

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
10 best Beethoven sonatas
on: April 13, 2005, 01:54:36 AM
 8)
dignity, love and joy.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Re: 10 best Beethoven sonatas
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:09:36 AM
1 - Pathetique
2 - Appassionata
3 - Num 27 in E minor
4 - Tempest
5 - Les Adieux
6 - Num 28 in A
7 - Num 13 in E flat
8 - Num 32 in C minor
9 - Hammerklavier
10 - Waldstein
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 03:42:25 AM
1. Hammerklavier
2. Waldstein
3. Pathetique
4. Appassionatta
5. No. 32
6. Tempest
7. Moonlight
8. Les Adieux

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:59:45 AM
1 - Pathetique
2 - Appassionata
3 - Num 27 in E minor
4 - Tempest
5 - Les Adieux
6 - Num 28 in A
7 - Num 13 in E flat
8 - Num 32 in C minor
9 - Hammerklavier
10 - Waldstein

I pray to God that is not your ranking...

1-6, in no order
Op. 90
Op. 101
Op. 106
Op. 109
Op. 110
Op. 111
7-10, in no order
Op. 7
Op. 53
Op. 57
Op. 81a

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 01:28:02 PM

WHY
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:32:11 PM

1-6, in no order
Op. 90
Op. 101
Op. 106
Op. 109
Op. 110
Op. 111
7-10, in no order
Op. 7
Op. 53
Op. 57
Op. 81a

Hehe, I KNEW your list would look like that...
My list would be similar, but instead of Op. 90 give me Op. 78.
I can't say I'd have the same order as you (late sonatas, the rest), but those are the same sonatas I'd pick. If I must rank them, I will do so now, but this would change if I did it tomorrow -- or even later today!

1. Op. 81a "Lebewohl" -- I can't get over the vivacissimamente
2. Op. 110 "The Shiznit Part 2"
3. Op. 109 "The Shiznit Part 1"
4. Op. 53 "Waldstein" -- currently trying to polish the first movement
5. Op. 101 "Better than the Hammerklavier IMO"
6. Op. 106 "Hammerklavier"
7. Op. 78 "For Therese"
8. Op. 111 "The Shiznit Part 3"
9. Op. 57 "Appassionata"
10. Op. 7 "Can't think of a good nickname here"

As you can see, I've labeled Opp. 109-111 as "The Shiznit." This is because they deserve nicknames.
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:53:51 PM
Doesn't anyone else have an opinion here??!?!?

Over the months that I've been a poster here, I've been SHOCKED  :o by how few people talk about the LvB piano sonatas -- SteinwayGuy is an exception. In my opinion, these are the greatest piano works ever composed. Many would agree with me, yet composers like Alkan and Sorabji seem to get more of the limelight here. Why?!?

BLASPHEMY!
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline Lance Morrison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 11:26:38 PM

Over the months that I've been a poster here, I've been SHOCKED  :o by how few people talk about the LvB piano sonatas -- SteinwayGuy is an exception. In my opinion, these are the greatest piano works ever composed. Many would agree with me, yet composers like Alkan and Sorabji seem to get more of the limelight here. Why?!?

BLASPHEMY!
riiiiiiiiiiight...

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 11:56:26 PM

BLASPHEMY!

I'll tell you why I don't have an opinion, or rather (because I do have an opinion) why I didn't want to post a response.

Over the months I've been BORED  :o by all of the best/favorite/worst topics. Favorite Chopin piece, favorite non-nicknamed Beethoven sonata, favorite nicknamed Beethoven sonata, favorite piano concerto. Now we've got a thread 10 Best Beetoven Sonatas. Why 10, why not 11 or 7 or 4. Why not the 6 most favorite Bach pieces written in the key of D major.

I'm sorry.... I've been working a lot of overtime and not had much time to practice. I guess I'm a little grumpy. I'm on this forum because my boyfriend's been working 10 hour days and he's in bed sleeping and I can't practice.

What was the question, again?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:03:59 AM
Okay, now I'm even grumpier!!!

I found another thread: Beethoven's 24 Sonatas. In this one we're asked which eight of the 32 we'd axe. That thread was also started by TDS.

Please, please, please TDS. Desist with these threads. I beg you. My sanity depends on it.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 12:36:50 AM
my sharon_f, i don't know what to tell you, really. but you made me laugh ( legitimately or not?, i have no clue ) so hard, that i was almost choked. really, the only thing i can say right now is this: thanks for making me laugh! havent laughed like this for so long. oh, also, dont ask me why i laughed. warmest, tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 03:01:56 AM
WHY

You think that the Pathetique is the best Beethoven sonata? To each his own, to some extent, but that? All of my respect for you is lost.

Over the months that I've been a poster here, I've been SHOCKED :o by how few people talk about the LvB piano sonatas -- SteinwayGuy is an exception. In my opinion, these are the greatest piano works ever composed. Many would agree with me, yet composers like Alkan and Sorabji seem to get more of the limelight here. Why?!?

BLASPHEMY!

Completely agree. Late Beethoven in particular. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again- the late Beethoven sonatas are the pinnacle of the piano literature. and I'll add that Alkan and Sorabji didn't nearly anything nearly comparable to them. Is everybody on this forum a immature-virtuoso-driven 15-year old?

Offline Lance Morrison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 03:09:43 AM
some of us just like to talk about more music than Bach and Mozart and Beethoven and Brahms  ::)  but i suppose my opinion matters not

there are a few people talking on the Sorabji thread....my thread from a while ago on Schönberg I believe had one respondent. So what is the big problem? Why must everything be about Bach and Beethoven and Liszt and Chopin?

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 03:32:45 AM
I agree that Beethoven piano sonatas are the pinnacle of piano literature (along with many Chopin pieces). This should be not surprising, being Beethoven the greatest composer ever !!!  ;) ;)

Regarding the topic question, i am not very original...my favorites are the most well known...However, i tend to prefer the intermediate period over the late one.

My current top one (and this will certainly change in the future) is not usually mentionned as the best:

TEMPEST  :o :o :o

PD: despite what other posters said, i enjoy reading this kind of polls in Pianoforum  ;)

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 05:04:31 AM
my sharon_f, i don't know what to tell you, really. but you made me laugh ( legitimately or not?, i have no clue ) so hard, that i was almost choked. really, the only thing i can say right now is this: thanks for making me laugh! havent laughed like this for so long. oh, also, dont ask me why i laughed. warmest, tds

Thank you, TDS, for not taking my posts too seriously.  :) :) And you're welcome. Warmest, Sharon_F.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 05:22:32 AM
some of us just like to talk about more music than Bach and Mozart and Beethoven and Brahms  ::)  but i suppose my opinion matters not

there are a few people talking on the Sorabji thread....my thread from a while ago on Schönberg I believe had one respondent. So what is the big problem? Why must everything be about Bach and Beethoven and Liszt and Chopin?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that since this is a piano forum, and many people -- including myself -- consider the Beethoven piano sonatas to be, as SteinwayGuy said it, the "pinnacle" of piano composition, I'm surprised by how relatively few topics are actually about Beethoven.

On the other hand, Chopin and Liszt seem to get a lot more attention in here, as do other composers of "virtuosic" piano pieces, like Alkan and Sorabji. What's wrong with pointing out these observations?

Offline Lance Morrison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 05:32:33 AM
That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that since this is a piano forum, and many people -- including myself -- consider the Beethoven piano sonatas to be, as SteinwayGuy said it, the "pinnacle" of piano composition, I'm surprised by how relatively few topics are actually about Beethoven.

On the other hand, Chopin and Liszt seem to get a lot more attention in here, as do other composers of "virtuosic" piano pieces, like Alkan and Sorabji. What's wrong with pointing out these observations?

nothing is wrong.....i just am a worthless arrogant jerk  :(

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 05:47:48 AM
nothing is wrong.....i just am a worthless arrogant jerk  :(

Me too! :)

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 01:51:00 AM

The most popular topics currently are about Sorabji, Alkan, Chopin Etudes and Beethoven Sonatas. There is a reason people should talk about Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms more than Alkan and Sorabji. There are so many composers that deserve more attention, either because they're not getting any at all (schoenberg) or because their compositions have greater musical value than they are warranted (Mozart sonatas).

Offline Lance Morrison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 02:09:45 AM
.....i just am a worthless arrogant jerk  :(

Offline theodopolis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 03:21:55 PM

...Why not the 6 most favorite Bach pieces written in the key of D major.

1) Prelude & Fugue in D - BWV532 (The original organ work...not Busoni's!)
2) Prelude & Fugue in D - (WTC I)
3) Toccata in D - BWV 912
4) Harpsichord Concerto - BWV 1024
5) Partita No. 4
     Last...but certainly not least -
6) The Magnificat! - BWV243

Sorry... Couldn't Resist it! ;)

Does anyone else here think the opening of Liszt's 'Orage' (AdP - Suisse No.5) sounds like the Gymnopedie from Hell?

Offline vertigoone

Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 12:19:51 AM
Thank you, TDS, for not taking my posts too seriously.  :) :) And you're welcome. Warmest, Sharon_F.

What a refreshing reply!  It is a rare thing to see someone humbly reply instead battle out a pointless argument.  You have shown wisdom.
“I will seize fate by the throat; it shall certainly never wholly overcome me.”
― Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:41 AM
What a refreshing reply!  It is a rare thing to see someone humbly reply instead battle out a pointless argument.  You have shown wisdom.
S/he also showed it about 9 years ago. Great job catching that!

Offline kevonthegreatpianist

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:16 AM
The greatest Beethoven sonatas in order

10. Op.2 No.1 'Little Appastionata' (I think I spelled it wrong)
9. Op.14 No.1
8. Op. 26 'Funeral March'
7. Op. 49. No.1 'Easy Sonata'
6. Op.27 No.1
5.Op.27 No.2 'Moonlight' (One of my favorite Chopin nocturnes is Op.27 No.2)
4.Op. 53 'Waldstein'
3. Op.106 'Hammerklaiver'
2. Op.13 'Patheique'
1. Op.111

And blast off!

*ship explodes in 2 seconds  :)

I don't know why I like Little Appasionata but not Appasionata. I haven't listened to the bigger work yet...

I think Op.49 No.1 is also a great sonata. It's not that easy tho. The second movement provides notes that are faster than Chopin's first scherzo, and the first notes have turns that took me ten minutes to learn. Ten minutes is actually a long time.

Op.111 is currently underrated and I recommend you to listen to it.
I made an account and hadn't used it in a year. Welcome back, kevon.

Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 03:18:25 AM
The greatest Beethoven sonatas in order

10. Op.2 No.1 'Little Appastionata' (I think I spelled it wrong)
9. Op.14 No.1
8. Op. 26 'Funeral March'
7. Op. 49. No.1 'Easy Sonata'
6. Op.27 No.1
5.Op.27 No.2 'Moonlight' (One of my favorite Chopin nocturnes is Op.27 No.2)
4.Op. 53 'Waldstein'
3. Op.106 'Hammerklaiver'
2. Op.13 'Patheique'
1. Op.111

And blast off!

*ship explodes in 2 seconds  :)

I don't know why I like Little Appasionata but not Appasionata. I haven't listened to the bigger work yet...

I think Op.49 No.1 is also a great sonata. It's not that easy tho. The second movement provides notes that are faster than Chopin's first scherzo, and the first notes have turns that took me ten minutes to learn. Ten minutes is actually a long time.

Op.111 is currently underrated and I recommend you to listen to it.
Now it's been like 2 months, my list changed a bit:

10. Op.14 No.1(my nickname 'Grand Sonata Plus')
9. Op.26 'Funeral March'
8. Op.27 No.2 'Moonlight' (my nickname 'Very Slow Steroids')
7. Op.2 No.1 'Little Appassionata'
6. Op.57 'The LEGIT Appassionata'
5. Op.13 'Patheique'
4. Op.106 'Hammerklavier' (my nickname 'Beethoven on Steroids')
3. Op.110 (my nickname 'The Quiet Funeral March')
2. Op.53 'Waldstein' (my nickname 'March of Doom')
1. Op.111 (my nickname 'Mario Gone Mad')

Op.111 is leads the sonata chain. Go 111.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 04:03:43 PM
The whole "Little" and "Legit" thing is BS to me. People just take an earlier sonata written in the same key as a "nickname" one and then slap a "Little" in front of the nickname. By that logic, "op. 7" is "Little Les Adieux" and op. 10 no. 3 is "Little Pastoral!"

Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:02 PM
The whole "Little" and "Legit" thing is BS to me. People just take an earlier sonata written in the same key as a "nickname" one and then slap a "Little" in front of the nickname. By that logic, "op. 7" is "Little Les Adieux" and op. 10 no. 3 is "Little Pastoral!"
true. except the op.7 is about two times longer than Op.81a and already has a nickname and op 10 no 3 is much harder than the op 28

Offline glennross

Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 04:28:44 PM
  • Sonata in E major, op. 109
  • Sonata in B-flat major, op. 106
  • Sonata in D major, op. 10/3
  • Sonata in D major, op. 28
  • Sonata in D minor, op. 31/2
  • Sonata in A major, op. 2/2
  • Sonata in C major, op. 2/3
  • Sonata in F major, op. 10/2
  • Sonata in A-flat major, op. 110
  • Sonata in E-flat major, op. 27/1

I really like those earlier sonatas in which he understands the art of voice leading so well.
"The finest instrument, is the mind."
-----------------------------------------

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:07 PM
  • Sonata in E major, op. 109
  • Sonata in B-flat major, op. 106
  • Sonata in D major, op. 10/3
  • Sonata in D major, op. 28
  • Sonata in D minor, op. 31/2
  • Sonata in A major, op. 2/2
  • Sonata in C major, op. 2/3
  • Sonata in F major, op. 10/2
  • Sonata in A-flat major, op. 110
  • Sonata in E-flat major, op. 27/1

I really like those earlier sonatas in which he understands the art of voice leading so well.

what happened to 2/1 and 111?

Offline kypiano

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 02:46:16 AM
??? Op. 7 is "Little Les Adieux"? Where did you find that? It's not on Wikipedia OR Imslp ;D But I see their point, Les Adieux is harder than Op. 7. In obvious reasons if you actually've played them both. (Exccept in my case, Op. 7 was a bit harder to memorize ;D but les Adieux was pretty straightforward.)

I couldn't find "Little Pastoral" either anywhere. Wait- did you make those nicknames up??? Bless you, poor child ;D Oh, and congratulations for pointing out that Les Adieaux is more boring than Op. 7 ;D

Offline kypiano

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 02:49:54 AM
what happened to 2/1 and 111?
Op. 2#1 is boring. Op.111 is ugly. Same with most other Beethoven Sonatas. But when the pretty parts come, they are REALLY pretty ;D

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 04:46:08 AM
??? Op. 7 is "Little Les Adieux"? Where did you find that? It's not on Wikipedia OR Imslp ;D But I see their point, Les Adieux is harder than Op. 7. In obvious reasons if you actually've played them both. (Exccept in my case, Op. 7 was a bit harder to memorize ;D but les Adieux was pretty straightforward.)

I couldn't find "Little Pastoral" either anywhere. Wait- did you make those nicknames up??? Bless you, poor child ;D Oh, and congratulations for pointing out that Les Adieaux is more boring than Op. 7 ;D

He made these nicknames up as a joke corresponding to that I put 2/1 as 'Little Appastionata', 2/3 as 'Little Waldstein,' 10/1 as 'Little Patheique,' and 22 as 'Little Hammerkalvier.' ANd Op.7 already has a nickname.

No, I think they're about the same difficulty, and Op.7 is about two times longers.

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:22 AM

10. Op. 7 "Can't think of a good nickname here"

well op 7 already HAS  an offical nickname

Offline kypiano

Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 08:12:28 PM
He made these nicknames up as a joke corresponding to that I put 2/1 as 'Little Appastionata', 2/3 as 'Little Waldstein,' 10/1 as 'Little Patheique,' and 22 as 'Little Hammerkalvier.' ANd Op.7 already has a nickname.

No, I think they're about the same difficulty, and Op.7 is about two times longers.
That must mean you haven't played (as in studied) them ;D MAYBE when you're sightreading, l'Adieux is kind of "easy". It's just once you get into it, it gets really hard.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 06:09:47 PM
That must mean you haven't played (as in studied) them ;D MAYBE when you're sightreading, l'Adieux is kind of "easy". It's just once you get into it, it gets really hard.

Do you sightread Liszt, pregnant dog

Offline glennross

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 06:23:36 PM
Sigh, why on earth do people feel the need to give nicknames to Beethoven's sonatas. Does it add any certain value to it by doing this. Doesn't seem like that to me. It's such nonsense that because the op. 7 is in E-flat that it is therefore called 'Little Les Adieux'. If one would go down that path, he could equally as well say that op. 27/1 or 31/3 are 'Little Les Adieux's'. Just stop giving them nicknames and play the music.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 07:04:08 PM
Do you sightread Liszt, pregnant dog

??? I wrote BIT*CH. How come it got changed to "pregnant dog"?

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:52 PM
Sigh, why on earth do people feel the need to give nicknames to Beethoven's sonatas. Does it add any certain value to it by doing this. Doesn't seem like that to me. It's such nonsense that because the op. 7 is in E-flat that it is therefore called 'Little Les Adieux'. If one would go down that path, he could equally as well say that op. 27/1 or 31/3 are 'Little Les Adieux's'. Just stop giving them nicknames and play the music.

Well, no one calls it "Little l'Adieuax". It's just that schumaniac tried to start a trend because somehow he hates Op. 7, so he tried to start a trend to call it "Little l'Adieaux."

Offline glennross

Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 07:39:15 PM
Well, no one calls it "Little l'Adieuax". It's just that schumaniac tried to start a trend because somehow he hates Op. 7, so he tried to start a trend to call it "Little l'Adieaux."

I know what his intentions were. It just in general the users and what things they've posted on this thread. By the way, I don't like the Op. 7 sonata too. Not even in the slightest. I think the other 'E-flats' are much stronger and more thoughtfull which makes them, for me at least, much better sonatas.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:45 PM
I love op. 109.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: September 12, 2015, 08:51:32 PM
Op. 2#1 is boring. Op.111 is ugly. Same with most other Beethoven Sonatas.

You have no taste.

Favs:
Op. 2 #2
Op. 2 #3 "The Gigantic Cuckoo from Mars"
Op. 10 #1 "Kind of Pathetic"
Op. 13 "The Pathetic"
Op. 28 "Pastorale"
Op. 31 #2 "Tempest Flows in You"
Op. 31 #3 "The Hunt"
Op. 49 #2
Op.53 "Waldstein"
Op. 57"Avocolada Appasionata"
Op. 79, II & III "Cuckoo"
Op. 81a, III "I'm going to pretend I'm sad that Napolean is here, but I'm actually really really jhappy"
Op. 111 "Gurlitt's Sonatina in a minor"

Reply #41 on: September 13, 2015, 06:27:44 PM
??? I wrote BIT*CH. How come it got changed to "pregnant dog"?
because pianostreet is a b!tch

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: September 13, 2015, 06:33:41 PM
because pianostreet is a b!tch

pregnant dog ass dumbass smartass sh*t *** ***

Those are all the cuss words I know, lets see what PS does to them

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:56 PM

pregnant dog ass dumbass smartass sh*t *** ***

Those are all the cuss words I know, lets see what PS does to them

OK: Here are the results:
They turned the B-Word into "pregnant dog"
They kept "ass" and "dumbass" ;D
They turned the S-word into "sh*t" instead of the "I"
The F-word was turned into ***
The W-word that describes Clara Schumann was also turned into ***

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:02 PM

Thanks for the info.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 10:03:45 PM

and theres still dildo, condom, lay, ride, redtube, bullshit, pussy, dick, cock, prick, and lots of others

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
and the first notes have turns that took me ten minutes to learn. Ten minutes is actually a long time.

lol
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline paxxx17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:32 AM
Necroposting now that I've finally listened through all the sonatas

1.   106
2.   90
3.   53
4.   111
5.   101
6.   110
7.   57
8.   109
9.   31 (no2)
10.   78

I haven't listened to much of the early sonatas, so maybe some could fit in in the future (like Op. 7 and Op. 22)
Last three sonatas are still fresh to me (only listened to each one about 5 times) so I expect them to grow in the future
For some reason, I don't like Op. 81a
I've made this list by giving points to each individual movement, then averaging over number of movements (and some corrections that benefit sonatas with higher number of movements)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 02:05:03 PM
I'm going to say this nicely, but I don't see the Sonata's as being worth ranking - I think of them as Beethovens own reflection on what was happening in his life (with the exception of Op 49, No 2)

They are a development of who he was as a person. In the beginning - he wrote pieces that tried to push the piano to greater and bigger things, in the middle was him finally becoming the more mature composer that he was, and then the final sonatas of his life were him trying to pour his heart and soul into the music he so much loved, but couldn't aurally hear (but could probably hear innately in his head... I'm presuming that he had perfect pitch given that he could compose such brilliant melodies that work out so beatifully... to do so without perfect pitch seems impossible.)

That's just may take, and yes, I know Paxxxx did necro the the sh!t out of this thread, (sorry, but it's true - although vertigoone probably takes the cake).

And yes, this is someone who has listened to them in order many times (all 32 of them)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 05:11:15 PM
I don't see the Sonata's as being worth ranking - I think of them as Beethovens

*Sonatas
*Beethoven's
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert