Piano Forum

Topic: an hour before concert  (Read 1800 times)

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
an hour before concert
on: April 13, 2005, 08:21:13 PM
1. any ideal place you would like to be at this hour?
2. what do you usually do, or ( not )think of?

best, tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Re: an hour before concert
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 08:22:29 PM
an hour before I am getting dressed. I try to not think about failure.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 12:21:15 AM
i used to think that i must get hot/warm water for my hands somewhere. but not so much anymore now. dont know why. tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline pizno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 02:55:47 AM
I would like to be taking my beta blocker, warming up, and staying close to the bathroom and water fountain.  Thinking positive thoughts.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 02:56:44 AM
squeezing in some last minute practice in the hall, or dressing, then squeezing in some las tminute practice in the hall.

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 03:57:35 AM
1. any ideal place you would like to be at this hour?
2. what do you usually do, or ( not )think of?

best, tds

1. Talking to people as much as possible; it helps to keep your mind away from the performance.

2. I definitely do not think of the audience - that's the last thing I think of during a performance.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 05:00:24 PM
To a degree it depends on the performance, but for ones that really, really feel "important" to me, this is what I do :

I will need some time alone.

I will have "sufficiently eaten" and will have juices and water close at hand.   I will have dressed knowing in each moment while I am dressing that I am putting on some sort of official uniform in preparation. 
I get very quiet and work to find an intense and focused calm inside of me and all around me.  I summon every fiber of myself within those moments.  I work to clear my mind and just be completely present in each moment.  I work to be very alert to what kind of thinking may be trying to take place within me, and at all costs I will reach deeper within myself to find that part of me who knows I can walk on stage and deliver.

I will have a journal close at hand which I am both reading from and writing in.  During this time, if I am focused properly, I am often recieving deep inspirations and insights about Life, Music and my individual purpose.

As the time draws closer, I enjoy having a person who is dear to me and whom I can deeply trust, with me during the last 10-20 mins before I go on stage.  Either to talk with, or just be with. 

I will have all of my music scores back stage, and as the time nears for me to go on stage, I will set up a music stand backstage where I will place my music score, open to the piece I will be playing.

Then, out I go.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline soundtrk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 02:27:38 AM
I've never played in a solo recital, so my hour before I play is usually spent sitting in the audience watching the other performers in nervous anticipation.

However I once took an intro-to-acting class where the teacher made us do a very lengthy relaxation exercise that was meant to put our whole body in a "ready to receive", open, relaxed, comfortable state. It was about 20 minutes long and involved walking around barefoot, rolling into a bent-over position then rolling back up, making vocal noises, concentrating on each part of the body, focusing on breathing . . . very yoga-like. But one day after the acting class I went to practice and I played what I thought was the best ever! Some day I'd love to try this before a concert. It will probably help cure my shaking-like-a-leaf problem  ::)

Offline puma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:57:05 AM
      I usually am away from the piano, thinking about my piece but really trying to keep focused, remain calm - I, too, make sure I have eaten and drank plenty of water.  I make sure to use the bathroom about a half an hour before I play, and I may review in my head how I will play.  I can get nervous, so sometimes I will just focus on how I will begin my performance, and let everything else take place, knowing the countless hours I have practiced will be channeled forth.

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 04:35:39 AM
I'll usually be as warmed as up as I want to be at least an hour before the concert, then I'll go and find a dark room where I won't be disturbed. I'll do breathing exercises/meditate, and visualize the concert. With about ten minutes to go, I'll do a simple finger dropping exercise with each hand, concentrating on letting my fingers sink into the key with no effort. That usually leaves about 5 minutes, so I go wait in the wings and avoid talking to anyone before I go out on stage. When I get out on stage, for some reason I like to drop my finger (a la the dropping exercise) on middle D. I feel like it centers me, although it's probably just superstition or something. Then......SHOWTIME!!

Peace,
Bri

Offline sonatainfsharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 07:42:52 PM
Looking back on my old practice logs, I used to have a very extravagant hour. Now I just sit down and play when the time comes.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 02:59:17 AM
Looking back on my old practice logs, I used to have a very extravagant hour. Now I just sit down and play when the time comes.

I am actually getting this way with less formal performing, I am hoping to get this way with all performing.  It's probably a sign a deep confidence to be able to do this in the even the most pressurous (is that a word ?) of circumstances  :)

I like your post

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert