Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Minimalist piano music suggestions  (Read 35852 times)

Offline richard w

• PS Silver Member
Minimalist piano music suggestions
on: April 15, 2005, 01:44:36 PM
Hi Guys,

I had the pleasure of listening to John Adams' Shaker Loops on the radio yesterday. It made the displeasure of sitting in a five-mile two-hour traffic jam slightly more bearable.

Does anyone know of any piano music which creates the same kind of sound world? I've never played any minimalist music before, except for a quick go at Piano Phase once. Minimalism is on my 'Must find out more, one day' list. Learning some music for myself seems a good way to start.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Re: Minimalist piano music suggestions
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 03:22:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I had the pleasure of listening to John Adams' Shaker Loops on the radio yesterday. It made the displeasure of sitting in a five-mile two-hour traffic jam slightly more bearable.

Does anyone know of any piano music which creates the same kind of sound world? I've never played any minimalist music before, except for a quick go at Piano Phase once. Minimalism is on my 'Must find out more, one day' list. Learning some music for myself seems a good way to start.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard.

I think some of Satie's music can be considered minimalistic.

Offline The Six

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 04:35:25 PM
Look for Phillip Glass and William Duckworth.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 04:36:44 PM
Look for Phillip Glass and William Duckworth.

Steve Reich fits in there also.

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 04:41:42 PM
Michael Nyman? not sure if he qualifies.
& John Cage? though he's kinda bordering on "experimental"... if he isn't.

Offline richard w

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:23:53 PM
Thanks Guys. Does anyone know actual pieces or am I on my own with the minimalist thing? I have come across music by the suggested composers, but I don't specifically know of anything for solo piano.

Richard.

Offline matticus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 03:57:43 PM
Try John Adams's China Gates & Phrygian Gates, Philip Glass's Metamorphosis, John Cage's Dream & In a Landscape, and then maybe Morton Feldman's Palais de Mari for a slightly different take on minimalism. I'm afraid this is all rather more subdued than Shaker Loops but hopefully you'll find something you like - I can't think of anything that *exactly* fits the bill offhand.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 11:46:46 PM
I play Philip Glass' "Mad Rush," "Opening" (from Glassworks) and "Etude 1" and I love them. Mad Rush you can learn in a day, as written it takes 15 minutes but you can repeat it forever if you wish.

Offline freakofnature

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 12:24:44 PM
Try Arvo Paert, too. For solo piano I only know of two pieces: 'Für Alina' and something with Anushka in the title. These are beautiful, very 'laid back' pieces.

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 12:32:05 PM
Want minimalist?

Cage 4'33"

(ducking as he exits!)

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:48:14 PM
The Nymen Piano Concerto is my alltime favorite piano piece ever, and that is minimalist.

Offline tadhg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 08:23:22 PM
gymnopedie by satie. I love that piece. You will recognise it off the tv. It's always in ad's etc.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 01:39:03 AM

I love minimalist music! It is (usually) very tonal and melodic, it presents very – if any – little technical difficulty, it sounds more difficult than it actually is, and it is usually very good quality in musical terms. It is ideal for adult beginners, who otherwise may end up having to play for a couple of years some cretin pedagogical piece from some method or other.

Here are some favourites you may wish to investigate:

1.   Ludovico Einaudi. (born 1955?) Einaudi is an Italian composer in his early fifties who after some experimental work (he was a student of Luciano Berio) and movie soundtracks, started producing highly melodic piano pieces. He has become a huge success in Italy and then in the UK after Classical FM started championing him. Some purists dislike him and criticise him highly, calling his music “lift music”, and it is true that he threads a very fine line there. Nevertheless, I find his music very pleasant both to play and to listen to. From a teaching point of view, he is a heaven sent gift. Ricordi has published the sheet music for most of his works and it is all available on CD as well (with Einaudi at the piano). For instance:

“Due Tramonti” (from Eden Roc) – I have taught this to complete beginners in one lesson. It teaches how to bring out a melody both in the right and left hand and it even features some hand-crossing. I don’t need to tell you how empowering and motivating for a new student such experience can be: S/he gets home from the first piano lesson and is able to play a beautiful piece that moves through the whole extent of the keyboard with crossing hands on top of it!

“Nefeli” (from Eden Roc) – Another very easy piece that sounds very busy and difficult with two beautiful themes. Ideal to teach arpeggio accompaniment with a single melodic line that must “sing”.

“Julia” (From Eden Roc) – This is similar in style to Nyman’s “The heart asks pleasure first”, but far easier to play. Both hands play arpeggio figurations together, while the melodic line is on the little finger of the right hand, so again an excellent piece to learn how to do this.

“Le Onde” (From Le Onde) – This is the piece that made Einaudi famous in the UK. Now you can listen to it everywhere, since a lot of adverts use it. A bit more complex than the ones above, but not that much. Again, the general figuration is of arpeggios in both hands with a melodic line that must be brought out in the right hand.

La Linea Escura (from Le Onde) – A fast repetitive broken chord figuration (in the RH) that sounds mysterious and atmospheric. An excellent alternative to similar exercises in Czerny, but which, contrary to Czerny can be a most worthwhile addition to one’s repertory, specially for beginners.

Questa Notte (from Le Onde) – Possibly the most difficult piece in this list (and arguably the nicest). The guitar imitation is spot on. Excellent piece to teach how the piano can be made to imitate other instruments.

“Dietro L’incanto” (from Le Onde) – a delicate, haunting melodic theme – not one of the easiest, but well worthwhile the effort to master it.

“Stella del Matino” (from “I Giorni”) – Spaced octaves in the left hand (good for accurate jumps) and fast arpeggio figurations on the RH with the melody played by the RH little finger. Again, excellent for developping a beginner’s technique being at the same time a good repertory piece.

“I Giorni” (from “I Giorni”) – Another beautiful piece with much scope for a student’s expressivity while being technically simple. All these pieces are also excellent to introduce a student to musical analysis, since they use very limited and standard chord progressions and are mostly based on a single scale.

2. Howard Skempton (born 1947) A little known British contemporary composer, Oxford University Press has published a collection of 55 of his short pieces (“Howard Skempton – Collected piano pieces”) and many of them have been recorded by John Tilbury for Sony (“Howard Skempton: Well Well, Cornelius). Most if not all of the pieces are tonal, and all are very easy technically. Be prepared for an absence of bar lines and time signatures. Skempton rarely uses key signatures preferring to add sharps and flats to the notes, which makes his scores sometimes difficult to sight read. Most ofit has none of the tunefulness of Einaudi or Glass, and some of his pieces are definitely grating and dissonant. I particularly like “Saltaire Melody”, “One for Molly”, “Even Tenor”,  “Air”, “Trace (for right hand)”, “Passing fancy (for left hand)”, “Well, Well Cornelius”, and “Campanella 3”. From a teaching point of view I find Skempton very useful to teach composition and free improvisation. Consider what Skempton himself says about melody and rhythm in his piano music:

“The piano would seem the ideal medium for the musical explorer, not least because, in many musical households, it is already there at hand. Also, the extraordinary range of colours and sonorities offers more than enough to a budding composer with more imagination than skill. Action is merely a prelude to observation. It’s so easy, like dropping a pebble in a pool: a single gesture, a forearm cluster or whatever reveals an entire landscape, a vast space in a changing light. (…) The many chorale pieces, of which June 77 and Postlude are examples; introduce melody as a means of governing a sequence of chords of similar character. Much, though, still depends on the quality of the raw material: the expressive power of the individual chord. For both types of pieces, landscapes and chorales rhythm is controlled almost out of existence. Yet it would be unnatural to keep at bay forever something so essential to musical utterance. When it appears, at first sporadically, it serves to liberate melody. There is tenderness and compassion in colour and sonority, but the sheer generosity of pure melody is something special.”

3.   Arvo Part (born) is one of my favourite contemporary composers. Unfortunately (as mentioned above), he composed very little for piano. The other piece besides “Fur Alina” is “Variationen zur gesundung von Arinuschka” (be prepared for some unusual notation). Both are published by Universal Edition.

4.   Phillip Glass – As mentioned above, “Metamorphosis” (There are five of them – no. 2 is my favourite), “Mad Rush” and “Wichita Sutra Vortex” are all for solo piano.
Opening for Piano (1982) is stylistically like Metamorphosis, and  from a teaching point of view it is a great exercise for 3 against 2, while being an excellent repertory piece.
The Olympian - Lighting of the Torch is the most solemn piece, (it was originally written for the opening of the Olympic Games in Los Angeles of 1984). Hymn-like.
There are two CDs of these pieces: Jay Gottlieb recorded them for Pianovox and Glass himself recorded them (except for “Opening” and “The Olympian” for CBS)
5.   Alan Hovhaness (1911 - 2000) Have a look here:

https://www.hovhaness.com/

(“1. An important but marginalised 20th Century American composer. A 'true original' who foreshadowed future musical techniques and aesthetic values. Rejecting the vogues of Americana, serialism and atonality, he pioneered contemporary development of archaic models and (like Henry Cowell and Lou Harrison) melded Western models with those of the East, making him a pioneer of East-West 'fusion' decades before the term 'World Music' had been coined. 2. Pioneered 'ad libitum' aleatoricism in 1944, some 15 years before the European avant garde. 3. As early as the 1940s, his employment of ever-shifting melodies over static harmonies, plus use of rhythmic cycles, pre-empted the Minimalist movement of the late 1960s. 4. The visionary and mystical nature of some phases of his work, often intoxicating in its directness and simplicity, rank him as the musical progenitor to the later, so-called New Age-ists and Spiritual Minimalists, such as Arvo Pärt and John Tavener 5. His significance remains overlooked by musical academia, partly because scholars have not looked for radical developments within post-War tonal music, still less in music of great beauty with audience appeal.”)

He has some interesting piano pieces, and you can find a list here:

https://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/feb00/hovanessworks3.htm#piano

Michael Nyman (born 1944) apparently was the first to use the term “minimalism” in connection with Cornelius Cardew’s “The Great Digest”. (Incidentally, Cardew was Skempton’s composition teacher, and Skempton;s piece “Well, well, Cornelius” was written on the occasion of his passing away). The whole soundtrack of “The Piano” can be considered minimalist music.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 01:27:45 AM
Minimalist music for me is best in miniscule doses.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 04:57:45 AM
Canadian coposer Ann Southam wrote a set of minimalist solo piano pieces called "Rivers".  It is divided into 3 books, ranging from short and easy to long and virtuosic.  The music is tonal, and performers are encouraged to find inner themes and melodies within the tapestry of notes.  Christina Petrowska Quilico recently finished recording a 3 CD set of the complete Rivers.  The music is available from the Canadian Music Centre. 

I wrote more about it here:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11178.0.html
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 06:33:08 PM
Die ------------------------------> Phillip Glass

OMFG, I had to sit though 2+ hours of him playing practically all his piano works and I thought it was all the same piece.  Worst experience of my life.....
Medtner is my god.

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 06:40:52 PM
hey fred.  we need to start an underground militia bent on destroying philip glass and all the copies of his piano music, but SPARE THE VIOLIN CONCERTO!  We must at all costs not destroy the violin concerto.  So anyways, I was thinking you and me go to Iran, with fake passports of course, and buy some illegal assault weapons and drugs (they come into play later) and then when we get back off the plane (they come into play now) we plant the drugs on someone else and while they are getting all of the attention we sneak back into the US.  Then we rendevous with our covert operative in the Philip Glass ring AKA Mr. Reich and he will give us the location of Philip Glass.  Then we just go shoot him alot in the head.  And steal his probably really nice pianos.

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 07:44:08 PM
Skepto! How many times must I tell you to keep the plans to yourself! Do you not realize that any of these people on piano forum could just be spys working for Phillip Glass? Don't let this happen again!
Medtner is my god.

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 09:05:14 PM
I'm sorry sir.  you should punish me for this insubordination.

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 05:06:36 AM
I'm sorry sir.  you should punish me for this insubordination.

Don't think I won't.
Medtner is my god.

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 10:02:11 AM
I've been a bad boi.  I need to be spanked.

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 08:27:01 PM
Oh!  :o Kinky!   :-*

;)
Medtner is my god.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 04:32:54 AM
Hey Richard... What about 'Phrygian Gates' by John Adams - It's a pretty nice minimalist piece... Have you ever heard of it?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 06:54:20 AM
What about Lubomyr Melnyk's works  ;D

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 07:25:11 AM
how many times i gotta say it; Nyman's The Piano Concerto.  if you're up for it that is.  but of course if that piece is below your l33t sk1llz then sure go with thierry's suggestion ^^

Offline freakofnature77

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 11:08:25 AM
Bernhard: Thanx a million for introducing me to L. Einaudi! I instantly fell in love with his music and began learning 'Le onde' yesterday...

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 05:26:40 PM
Bernhard: Thanx a million for introducing me to L. Einaudi! I instantly fell in love with his music and began learning 'Le onde' yesterday...

You are welcome. :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline jmhenson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 09:54:44 PM
John Adams actually has several piano pieces: Phrygian Gates, China Gates, American Berserk, and Hallelujah Junction (2 pianos).

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:57 PM
John Adams actually has several piano pieces: Phrygian Gates, China Gates, American Berserk, and Hallelujah Junction (2 pianos).

Did you really have to bump a 6 year old thread as your first post in this forum? It is quite pointless, considering there are some active threads with similar topics, and that most of the members that posted in this thread previously don't even come to this forum any more.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 11:12:37 PM
 ;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline tab114

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 05:50:11 PM
Newbles (like me) find quite useful such "bumps" ..

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 05:18:37 AM
You could just create a new thread.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert