Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hanon or Czerny?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline beethoartok

• PS Silver Member
Hanon or Czerny?
on: April 17, 2005, 04:39:10 AM
i recently bought
Charles-Louis Hanon: Virtuoso Pianist In 60 Exercises - Complete,
Carl Czerny: Art Of Finger Dexterity, Op. 740 - Complete, and
Carl Czerny: 24 Studies for the Left Hand, Op. 718

I need help on all my technique...but which one should I start with? and how long should I work on strictly technique before working on my rep?
Also, any have tips when working with one of these?

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hanon or Czerny?
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:40:27 AM
NO.

Offline beethoartok

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 05:48:54 AM
?

Offline vera

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 08:15:43 AM
Studies seems to be a dirty word nowadays, but I think, there is still a place for them.
Do not do them instead of repertoire, but add them. The school of dexterity is the mainstay book, the left hand studies and the Hanon, pick and choose, what is useful for you personally. There are other good studies too- Cramer/Bulow:40 studies and Clementi. I think, it helps getting more stamina. A gradual technical development also could help prevent getting injuries. I do not think it is good to jump to difficult repertoire studies without preparation.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 03:02:59 PM
Search all the other threads on Hanon and Czerny on this forum, and you'll see the various opinions on them. In any case, do not do any technical exercise over and over again for a long time without EXACTLY knowing what the correct motions are. That is, have a teacher show you how to do them before you sit down and do them. If you don't do that you could easily develop bad habits or even injuries. One does not acquire technique from Hanon or Czerny by just "doing" these exercises. They have to be done correctly. The instructions in the original Hanon, e.g., are dangerous, because Hanon did not know or chose to ignore certain facts about human anatomy.

Offline robertp

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 04:35:56 PM
Our teachers all have their preferences, and so do we  ;D. So I'm writing from positive preferences, and I strongly agree with xvimbi and vera, esp. on having a teacher to help with the motions. I got School of Velocity quite early on, and it would have been a horrible, horrible mess, and maybe injuries, if I'd not been shown precisely some physical points about the playing.  Actually, I think, at least from my experience, that it could come earlier than it often does. It certainly made a difference for me, and rather rapidly too.

Piano: August Foerster 170
Blog: www.oparp.blogspot.com
Teacher: www.racheljimenez.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert