Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Any piano solo pieces from Georges Bizet ?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Any piano solo pieces from Georges Bizet ?
on: April 19, 2005, 12:07:37 PM
Did he compose any ?
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any piano solo pieces from Georges Bizet ?
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 02:11:03 PM
No idea.

But i will profit this topic to say that, even if i do not like Opera genre at all (in fact, i dislike voices in classical music), i find Carmen's music to be brilliant.
Of course, there are transcriptions for piano of many Carmen's excerpts, but i beleive that is not what you are looking for...

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 02:55:30 PM
No idea.

But i will profit this topic to say that, even if i do not like Opera genre at all (in fact, i dislike voices in classical music), i find Carmen's music to be brilliant.
Of course, there are transcriptions for piano of many Carmen's excerpts, but i beleive that is not what you are looking for...

No, you're right, that's not what I'm looking for.
According to the musical quality of his lyrical and orchestral works (like "L'arlésienne"), I assume that if he wrote something for the piano, it ought to be quite interesting.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline joell12068

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 09:37:07 PM
Bizet wrote only a few piano pieces, the largest one being Variations Chromatiques:

https://joell12068.zftp.com/SheetMusic/bizet_chromatiques-variation.pdf 

I think it was recorded by Glenn Gould !!

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 02:12:47 PM
Bizet did compose a few pieces for solo piano (for duo, you have the famous "Jeux d'enfants").

The Variations Chromatiques is the largest single piano piece, true, but has little musical value frlom my point of view (although Gould considered it was one of the few true piano masterpieces of the last quarter of the XIX century... but we all know that he can be kinda weird). That piece is boring, heavy and long.

On the other hand, Bizet composed a set of piano pieces called "Chants du Rhin" (songs from the Rhine river), which are moderately difficult. It's a shame that they are ignored by most pianists, because they are truly enjoyable little gems. The only recording that I know of is by Jean-Marc Luisada, a French pianist who is not well known in spite of his wonderful interpretations (Faure especially).

Anyone out there has heard of or even played those "Chants du Rhin" ?
Georges Bizet:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert