Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: advise on used yamaha  (Read 2175 times)

Offline enricomaria

• PS Silver Member
advise on used yamaha
on: April 20, 2005, 01:11:36 AM
I found a used Yamaha U2 for sale. The serial number shows that it is from 1968-69, it had some action regulation by Rick Jones in 1998 and was sold to the present customer at that time. This customer installed a humidity controller and had the piano tuned every year. I am going to have a technician take a look at it. Provided he finds it to be in good shape, how much should the piano be worth (more or less)?. Would it be more valuable if it had been refurbished? He says it was not refurbished because it did not need to.
Thank you for your help.
Enrico

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Re: advise on used yamaha
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:31:09 AM
Enrico, difficult question.  Naturally, anything said without looking at the piano is BS.

That be as it may, here is mine:  As a rule of thumb, I would not pay for a piano from a private individual more than half of what Rick Jones offers a similar piano for.

Without seeing the instrument, I would likely not pay $1,000 for it.

Just as a point of comparison, when I bough my house I was offered for free a Hardman grand from the 30's, 6 feet long, siting in the living room.  Tempted as I was, it was clear that the piano needed a new sound board, pinblock and likely restringing and at least refurbishing the action.  Well, having all that work done right costs about $15k.  With a little less than that you can buy yourself a brand new and entirely adequate 7' Chinese piano.  I ended up passing on the Hardman.   :'(  Instead I spend a little more money and got a truly remarkable 7'4" Irmler, brand new and well prepped.   ;D  I couldn't be happier with the instrument I ended up with.

I tell you the story just to illustrate that there are many a piano that is not worth getting, even if for free.  I have a hunch this Yamaha is very close to that.  I would tend to think this is what they call a grey market piano (a used piano bought in Japan and then imported to USA).  I have heard many of these pianos are subject to incredible abuse and are rightly sold for nearly nothing in Japan.

Good luck,
H
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline enricomaria

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:47:19 AM
thanks iumonito, it is a grey market Yamaha, for sure. But if the technician says it is in good shape, tunable and it just sounds good, it must retain some value. Or not?
Enrico

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:21:28 PM
My math is: cost of repairing vs. cost of a brand new piano of comparable quality.

Many will say if it sounds good, it is good.  I find such thinking short-term.  Tunning stability is one issue, how it will sound in 2 or 5 years is also an issue.

I would be wary of the technician unless you trust her or him.  A piano that will need to be tuned 4 times a year and will need lots of work is better business for the tech than a trouble free instrument.

Same thing with appraisals.  When somebody tells me a piano is worth x (always high) I ask them whether they would be interested in buying it themselves.  The answer, if you get one, is always no.

If you trust the tech, though, go ahead.  Do not pay $2,000 for this instrument though.  It's value likely is closer to $0.

Good luck.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline wynnbear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 10:05:45 PM
If the U2 is in good shape, why wouldn't you buy it? 

Take a look at Rick Jone's sight, Piano World and PianoMart and what folks are asking for U1s, U2s (if any) or U3s of similar age.  A discount of 20 to 25% is appropriate off of Rick's prices since you are buying without a warranty. 

Yamaha U series are good sturdy workhorse pianos.  Personally, I find their tone a bit harsh, but practice rooms at conservatories all over use them extensively. 

If you like the instrument, and the tech says its in good condition, then go for it.  It's pretty old, but well within a normal life expectancy. 
Wynne
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert