Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: PIANO HELP? - chords  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Mr.Scream

• PS Silver Member
PIANO HELP? - chords
on: May 11, 2003, 11:06:49 PM
Im teaching myself piano through chords as opposed to sheet music etc and I need help...I play guitar so im taking my knowledge of that and putting it for the piano.

I have an electric piano thing with 4 octaves on it.

I know the chords but I only play them with 3 fingers: C = C, E, G in the first and second octave but the recorded versions of songs and that sound alot more full than that...
how do I make it sound like the proper version???
like use the same notes on a higher octave too.
my fingers are currently like this:

C  D  E  F  G  A  B  C
 ^      ^     ^

on those notes. thats it.

At the moment Im learning "Desperado" by the Eagles so if you could base your help on that.
I have the chords and it sounds nice but i'd imagine that you use more than just the 3 fingers!!!

Help!

dave
:o

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Re: PIANO HELP? - chords
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 06:09:01 AM
you can buy a book that shows how you position your hands on chords. there are many variations on the arrangement of your hands on the keys of a chord. for example, the chord C, the fist variation is this:

C  D  E  F  G  A  B  C  D  E
^      ^     ^

the second is this:

C  D  E  F  G  A  B  C  D  E
       ^      ^          ^

the third

C D E F G A B C D E
           ^       ^    ^

do that to other chords.
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 06:23:36 AM
Oh no! it's an error wait here you go for chord c:

variation 1: CEG
2:EGC (C D *E F *G A B *C D E)
3:GCE (C D E F *G A B *C D *E)

and so on...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 07:34:39 AM
You could also do CEGC to make the chord CEG sound fuller.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 01:21:06 PM
you can even use CEGCE or just CC (octave) which is very useful in the left hand!

Offline Yoad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 04:17:24 AM
Well, it would sound better if you add the first note of the chord. That would be an octave.  Also you could have different abbreviations. When you’re doing the triads, you could more the first note of the chord one octave up. Keep doing that for different abbreviations
"If anybody was Mr. Jazz it was Louis Armstrong. He was the epitome of jazz and always will be. He is what I call an American standard, an American original."

-- Duke Ellington

Offline glamfolk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 01:10:10 AM
The best thing for adding depth to your chords is to double some notes, but a cool trick (used in Desperado) is to add the "2" to each chord, so that G becomes GABD instead of GBD, C becomes CDEG, and D becomes DEF#A, with single notes or light octaves in the left hand.  If you're playing the chords with your 1-3-5 fingers, the 2 notes fit nicely, and they don't usually tell you this in the chord diagrams.  

Have fun!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert