Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 07:38:42 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Ode to Joy at the Proms 2017

Hear Igor Levit’s encore at First Night of the Proms 2017. Liszt’s piano solo version of Ode to Joy from Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chopin Ballade in g minor op.23  (Read 2173 times)
Davek

« on: May 18, 2003, 09:23:50 PM »

hi Smiley i need any pointers or advice about this piece, and when you studied it did it take a long time. because right now i can play the first 5 pages well but not quite up to speed in the fast spots but its getting there, and i was wondering whether this is normal or am i just bad.? Cry    all comments welcome ! Grin
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

piano sheet music of Ballade 1
Davek

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 09:24:52 PM »

i forgot to mention that i have been working on it for about 3 1/2 weeks now, along with a busy schedule. Smiley

peices i'm playing right now:
chopin ballade gminor
finishing the art of dexterity by czerny
mozart concerto in a major #23 movement 2 Adagio
haydn capriccio
18 preludes by bach & also all the inventions

what else could i work on, when should i start on the chopin etudes
amp

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 02:04:57 AM »

3 1/2 weeks, I don't think is a long time to be working on Chopin's Ballade in gm. 3 1/2 months wouldn't be a long time either. You are just scratching the surface of how long it will take. Sounds like you are doing great with it already!

I would suggest, never worry about how long a piece takes you to play great, "to each their own," what's hard to me is easy to you, etc.

You're well ready for the etudes, actually a lot of people tackle some etudes before a Ballade.

amp

Davek

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 02:11:34 AM »

thanks and for the etudes which ones should i play?
Chiyo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 03:44:30 AM »

Hey! I'm working on that same ballade too!!
(I just started though  Tongue)

I suggest Op.10 No.8, it's great as first etude.
And I also suggest Op.10 No.5...

I love Chopin!
ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 04:01:07 AM »

Hey Davek!  I'm working on op.10 no.5 as my first chopin etude.  I've been working on it seriously for a couple of weeks and right now I'm working on getting it up to speed.  It's coming pretty good...  But dang I'm getting bored with it ^^...  But I guess that's probably like most of the etudes because there repetitive to teach the technique it applies to...  Anyways good luck!  
amee

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 06:53:59 AM »

What about the Revolutionary as a first etude?

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin
ayahav

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 05:19:26 PM »

the etudes are not repetitive. they are simply structured in ABA form (most of them). They are all AMAZING! My first etude was the 10.4 Presto in C# minor. It looks very daunting but it lies right under the fingers once you get it.
Davek

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 11:43:46 PM »

ayahav, i was looking at that and it looks and sounds very interesting, could you tell the purpose of this etude? i think that i am going to start with that etude, thanks. Smiley
Le-ackt

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 02:23:57 PM »

I think what makes the Etudes repetitive is we need to practice it over and over and over for a countless times . you know , when the time you seems stuck at the middle of unperfection , and already beyond controlling basic of etude pieces . That's the most painful part , i m now stuck at the middle of cant reach the max speed of Ocean etude and my finger doesnt seems have enough power to strike as powerful as it's overwhelm fashion .
Reoreo111

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2003, 10:13:29 PM »

I worked on the Revolutionary Etude last year, and now i've started the Ballade a month ago.
Chiyo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 03:01:09 AM »

I love this ballade so much!! I get so emotional when I play this.

I love Chopin!
JTownley

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 10:03:22 AM »

Embarrassed  Hmmmm......Am I the only one who finds this one among the weaker of Chopins' works? For a "real" Ballade listen to the Fourth in F-minor. It is beyond earthly description. The d-flat section toward the end, right before the coda is some of the most heavenly piano writing ever set to paper.
http://www.JoeTownley.com  Lots of videos!

The World is Waiting to Discover YOU!
10Fingers

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2003, 03:13:30 PM »

Yes, I agree with you, John!

I like the forth ballade much more than this one. Particular to me it the second theme with its variations, one of the most beautiful melodies!

Thi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: