Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 No. 2 - How long did it take for YOU to learn it?  (Read 40539 times)

Offline j0no

• PS Silver Member
Like the topic says. To you who has played this piece: How long did it take to learn it?

And which is the best method of learning it in your opinon? For the moment I work with one bar at a time using HT.

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
i'm joining the question but i'm asking the same about the fantasie impromptu.. do u think in 3 months this piece can be done for performance?

CLV391

depends, of course. many could do it in a day

i did it when i had onlt taken lessons for 2.5 (at 17) years and learned it in about 5 weeks (amongst other pieces)

Offline j0no

• PS Silver Member
depends, of course. many could do it in a day

i did it when i had onlt taken lessons for 2.5 (at 17) years and learned it in about 5 weeks (amongst other pieces)

the nocturne or impromptu?

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Probably the Nocturne, I can't see anyone learning the Fantaisie Impromptu up to par for performance in one day....  The nocturne is not long at all, but it is quite difficult especially for the left hand..
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline freddychopin

• PS Silver Member
I did Op. 9 no. 1 & 2 in about 2 months. No. 3 is a complete different story ;D I'm still improving it (since 2 year ago). I have never played the Impromptu because it is already overplayed so why me?

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
It all depends on what you mean by "learn".  It's sort of like saying "I learned to ski last weekend". 

I learned to play through the thing, notes and basic dynamics in a couple of weeks. But I worked on it amongst other things for several more months to figure out how I wanted the various phrasings to go, and to get it smooth.  These nocturnes reuqire "offline" thought, and some work, and re-work, to see how you think you can make the most of the little melody.  Sounds simple enough, but they are all actually quite difficult to feel like you've mastered one - at least that's what it's like for me. 

If somebody assigned me op9 no 2 to perform in 2 months I could no doubt do it.  But six months later I would have a much better version ready - guaranteed!
So much music, so little time........

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member

Offline nathan-fr

• PS Silver Member
For my part, it takes maybe 2-3 days to learn the piece, but maybe a week or two to get the touch I want for interpretation. It's not a such difficult piece ; like often in Chopin start by learning well the left hand and separatly feel the music phrase at the RH, which is quite simple. When LH play without hesitation, it's done. It's a really beautiful Nocturne, but I prefer op 27 (1 and 2).
For the Fantasie-Impromptu, it's a little more difficult. I need a good month to have it in my finger. Study the 8/6 on Brahms Etudes or for more fun in "l'Aquarium" from the "Carnaval des animaux" of Saint Saens. Very sympathic and when you get the rythm thing, you can work the Improptu from slow to fast with both hands. Try to be the more precise possible, even if you not play very fast at the first time.
Have fun.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
It took me several months to learn it well enough not to pause or make weird mistakes. Its still not perfect. But do I care that others learn it faster? Not a whit.

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
I remember learning it as a student in my 6th year (in Spain, where the grades are different from the British grading). I think it took me about two weeks to learn the notes decently, and probably two more weeks to get it up to performance level (interpretation, cleaning a couple of messy spots like those fast RH notes at the end).

I think it was the easiest piece I played that year. It's probably on the bottom three for difficulty among Chopin nocturnes, so... Fantaisie Impromptu, though, is a whole different story. I haven't learned it, but I'm sure it would take many weeks to get it half decent. The level is way different : gotta have very flexible fingers for the fast notes, gotta have a good brain to split LH and RH rythms, and stamina to play up to speed to the end. I definitely would go for the Nocturne, and after a couple of years of lessons, do the Impromptu.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
About a month, but allow more time to get your interpretation right.
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
The Nocturne - maybe 2 weeks
The Impromptu - maybe 6 weeks.

It's been so long that I don't even remember.   

I don't play the nocturne than often, but it takes a great deal of though towards interpretation.  There are very many good posibilities, and my playing of it would change from day to day. 

The impromptu:  my interpretation is still further being refined.  There is a lot more to discover in this piece, besides it's virtuosic nature. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline robert

• PS Silver Member
Nothing remarkable about me regarding this Nocturne but a friend of mine did something very impressing. He learnt it by heart and could play it rather well before he turned 8 years old. That was back in the 60:ths.
Download free classical piano recordings and free sheet music at Piano Society (https://pianosociety.com)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert