Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Fur Elise video- helpful?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline torchygirl

• PS Silver Member
Fur Elise video- helpful?
on: May 05, 2005, 12:36:40 AM
Hey all-

I know some others of you are working on Fur Elise as I am.  My teacher kindly consented to letting me videotape her playing it.

I am going to *attempt* to post Windows Media File link here of her playing...just a short snippet.  Let me know if anyone thinks it helpful and I will see about getting the rest of it.  For some reason when I view it on my computer it is much darker than in my camcorder...not sure if that is computer monitor or data change.

https://home.mn.rr.com/tsuploads/index.html/images/Fur Elise test.wmvKaren

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fur Elise video- helpful?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 02:44:12 AM
Helpful to what? And it would be cool if you could post your own records! I think if we can stay objective AND constructive, we could help you improve your playing by spotting your weaknesses AND your strong points too! Having a different point of view than the one of your teacher is allways an interesting thing!

Offline lagin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 03:57:42 AM
Cool, Karen
Thanks!
Christians aren't perfect; just forgiven.

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member
­
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 04:11:45 AM
­

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 12:26:21 PM
i also have video myself playing fast part of chopin second ballade
anyone wants to spot my weakness pm me
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline JP

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 02:38:08 PM
i also have video myself playing fast part of chopin second ballade
anyone wants to spot my weakness pm me

Well if you need help, send it my way..

Offline JP

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 02:39:59 PM
torchygirl, I'm sure many will enjoy seeing the video..  Its nice to see others play..

Offline torchygirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 10:50:00 PM
My goal in posting this video was not to give people a piece to listen to.  My goal was to let people see correct fingering and hand movement across the keys.  My teacher is quite a good pianist.  I know some of us are trying to learn Fur Elise, and I was hopeful that we could emulate some of her moves.

Unfortunately it's really very difficult to see, especially over the internet....it gets too choppy.  So it's probably not helpful to post the whole thing (unless maybe I slowed it way down or something?).

Karen

Offline torchygirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 11:23:10 PM
Oh, and just another note, I am not ready to post a video of myself playing here.  My teacher wasn't even sure I should tackle Fur Elise.  Thanks to Xvimbi :-*, she's very happy with the progress I've made (while she's been out of town) and is confident it's within my abilities.

But, my point is, I can already find lots and lots of problems with my playing.  But I'll come back and post my playing when their number has lessened (at least somewhat  ;)).

Offline JP

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 03:35:18 PM
My goal in posting this video was not to give people a piece to listen to.  My goal was to let people see correct fingering and hand movement across the keys.  My teacher is quite a good pianist.  I know some of us are trying to learn Fur Elise, and I was hopeful that we could emulate some of her moves.

Unfortunately it's really very difficult to see, especially over the internet....it gets too choppy.  So it's probably not helpful to post the whole thing (unless maybe I slowed it way down or something?).

Karen

Dear Karen,
Though it wasn’t your goal to give people a piece to listen to, you must have realized there would be more downloads by people not learning the piece.. This piece’s fame exceeds my comprehension, but still.  :P

A note about emulating moves, a student of mine, during his summer month of vacation viewed a video of Horrowitz performing a Sergej Rachmaninov concerto.  At his class, the student in question was suddenly using an ultra low wrist technique, which he had a been practicing with during his month off. You can probably imagine the multiple question marks on my forehead.  Most of what I had taught him in 4yrs regarding positioning techniques was, in his opinion, invalidated by Horrowitz’s superior low wrist technique.  We had to spend the following 2 classes reanalyzing the advantages/disadvantages of different playing positions.  What I’m saying is that trying to replicate moves, using the logic that it yielded a good result for one person thus it will do the same for me, is a dangerous approach.         

The same goes for fingering.  The concept of “correct” fingering is very personal.. You know that.  I bet you and I don't even use the same fingering for major scales. 

If you want to post the full video in high quality, let me know. I have a great encoder for the job.

Cheers,
JP

PS in this post:
torchygirl, I'm sure many will enjoy seeing the video..  Its nice to see others play..
Maybe I meant enjoy in the sense of benefiting from.   
Nah just kidding.  ;D

Offline torchygirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 06:59:35 PM

Dear Karen,
Though it wasn’t your goal to give people a piece to listen to, you must have realized there would be more downloads by people not learning the piece.. This piece’s fame exceeds my comprehension, but still.  :P

It actually wasn't thinking about it from that point of view at all!  On a different thread we'd been talking about videotaping CC's fingering of TO.  I mentioned that I might video how my teacher uses her hands in playing something.  And, as I stated, it was just a short snippet.

I also didn't mean people *had* to or even should take the fingering...so, yes, I shouldn't have said *correct* fingering.  Rather, the fingering of one person who knows shat she's doing!  I can watch her and have a lightbulb go off.  Her way of fingering usually works better for me.  Also, we can see how she moves her hands, wrists, arms, etc.  And even if it's not correct according to some method, or the sages here, it can be a starting point for discussion.   :D  (See, it's working already!)

The same goes for fingering.  The concept of “correct” fingering is very personal.. You know that.  I bet you and I don't even use the same fingering for major scales. 

I don't have a fingering for major scales  ;D.  I am a beginner.  I've never played scales in my life (I've dabbled in piano a bit previously, but never really worked at it - especially with the understanding that I'm gaining here).  There are recommended fingerings in many books.  And for that matter, there's a lot of recommendations here on this site!  So I guess the idea of a somewhat universal or recommended fingering is not new.  It at least can serve as a starting point or idea generator for those of us without a  lot of knowledge to work from.  I really did the video for me, but thought that maybe others could benefit too!

If you want to post the full video in high quality, let me know. I have a great encoder for the job.

Thanks!   :)  Love to hear about it.  Especially if I can slow the video down somewhat.

Karen

Offline Chrysalis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2005, 11:20:34 AM
is that a digital piano ?

tnx for the video... i never started fur elise but someday i will and this
video can help me out...

tnx
Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox! Debussy Rox!

Offline torchygirl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 06:15:50 PM
Chrysalis-

is that a digital piano ?

No, it's a crummy beat up Steinway grand (not a monster-size, not a mini).  Well, *I* think it sounds crummy in real life (buzzy), not sure what others think.  Sounds lots better when teach plays it  ;D.

tnx for the video... i never started fur elise but someday i will and this
video can help me out...

Well, it's not much of a video in terms of quality or clarity, but I will be happy to add to it or take tips on how to improve quality if people want me to.  It's just so much better viewed on my camera... :'(

Karen

Offline celticqt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 07:36:58 PM
Wow, that was interesting.  Thanks!
Beware the barrenness of a busy life. ~Socrates
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert