Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven op.31 no.2 tempest  (Read 3671 times)

Offline ben19rach

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven op.31 no.2 tempest
on: May 27, 2003, 11:01:32 PM
Hello guys i am playing Beethoven's  tempest sonata ( op.31 n.2) only the first part and i need some advice on the triolets how to study them or some tips because it is very hard to play them exactly triolets in the final speed!

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven op.31 no.2 tempest
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 01:26:12 AM
I think I know which triplets you mean: the ones with thirds on the first and third quavers, and a single note on the middle quaver, right? (quite confusing - anyways).... I found that the trick, for me, in these passages was to use my wrist instead of my fingers, and play quite lightly... Don't try and completely press the keys each time, just kind of tremble your wrist and the sound will come. It will also accumulate to a f or a ff if you let the pedal down.

Offline bmusicd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 02:45:58 AM
I found those quasi tremelos very difficult to nail down as well. First thing I'd say is not to make to big a deal about having them perfectly even. What's important is the melody alternating between the bass and soprano. I play them by dropping my wrist on every half measure and when I practiced I did so by taking three-second pauses. First between every half measure, then every measure. Also, the best fingering I've found for the held notes in the left hand (i.e. m. 22) is not 5 3 1 as many editions print but 4 2 1. For the right hand I use 3 1 (i.e. m. 31) for all but the last  tremelos. Hope this helps.

Offline Celeste

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 09:16:43 PM
I started this piece also a couple months ago, and am, as everyone else seems to be, having trouble with the triplets. Thanks for your input ayahav and bmusicd, I think I'm getting better at them already.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert