Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Idea for chatroom--a schedule of special speakers or a Q & A period  (Read 1901 times)

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
I have an idea for the chatroom.  We could have a schedule, and have different topics at certain times.  For example--Brian Lawson is a RPT, and for example, he could be present on (this is just an example) Wednesday at 8PM or whatever day or time to answer tuning questions, then maybe another day/time for maintenance questions.  What do you think, Nils?
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Okay, well I love this idea.  Janice you asked me what kinds of things I think would be good discussion topics and I couldn't stop thinking about it so here are my ideas so far (for what it's worth)...

I think things like what you already mentioned could be quite interesting.  Maybe Chang would be willing to come and talk about aspects of his book, or people like Bernhard, Ted, whynot (he he), xvimbi and many others... but covering some specific aspect of things they are particularly "comfortable" with. 

Also, I thought it would be really cool to have discussions over particular books, for example : "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner.  We could set a time and date and a group of people (anyone who would like to) could prepare for it, and a discussion could be held covering a particular chapter or whatever, of any book of interest.

Also, we could have group research projects over a topic and people who would like to can research specfic aspects of this general topic and then come together to discuss (might be difficult to coordinate in real time, but not impossible). 

Or an individual could give a kind of presentation over something specific that they are working on or researching.  For example, pianonut and her studies of Mozart or Tash and her studies of art and how it relates to music and Torp and his photography and how that can relate to music.  There are many other people here who have things to offer and/or whom could really benefit from researching and then having a venue to discuss and/or report on what has been researched.

We could discuss specific points of theory, history, so on.

These are things that I would sincerely be willing to wake up in the middle of the night to attend if people really took them seriously.

Of course this is not that much different than what takes place through the forum at present, but talking "live" with people could be a whole different experience but would not negate the need for the forum as it is either (it gives people a chance to reflect and ask questions later if needed).

So, my thoughts went loose with this, I got excited  ;D... did I get carried away  ::) ?

m1469

BTW- this does not need to interfere with those people who do not want to partake in a specific discussion (but are still using the chat), as a seperate room can be formed for the specific topic.

PS- maybe there are a million other things too!  :D
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Maybe instead of individual presentations there could be discussion themes. Maybe technique discussion weekly and composer specific discussion less often.

Offline minimozart007

• PS Silver Member
youre onto something, janice
 ;D
You need more than a piano, two hands and a brain to play music.  You also need hot sauce.

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
m1469, you had some fantastic ideas there.  And you are right, that it wouldn't interfere with regular chat (which is kind of laid-back) because we can create separate rooms.  Let's pursue this.  I liked the idea of Chang coming and talking.  I would get up in the middle of the night for that (I'm up half the night anyway--lol).  Who would get ahold of Chang to ask him?  I've got his email address, I got it from his on-line "Fundamentals of Piano Playing" (or whatever it is called.  It's Fundamentals-of-something!).  Nils, what do you think?
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert