Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Best Time To Perform  (Read 1424 times)

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Best Time To Perform
on: May 19, 2005, 06:50:46 PM
Hello Everyone

What i really want advice on is the ideal place to be in a concert program (providing you have the choice). From your own experiences is it best performing early, middle or late within the program?

Thanks

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Time To Perform
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:08:24 PM
The answer to this questions depends on context.  We need to know what is on the program and what you intend to play. 

Eg:  I once had to play in a Schubertiade.  I was playing D. 946 Nr.1 and the rest of the pieces were vocal with piano.  The program was approxamately 1 hr in length.  The director decided to put me in the half way point as an interlude between all the songs.  It was quite an effective programming arrangement. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:18:54 PM
The answer to this questions depends on context.  We need to know what is on the program and what you intend to play. 

Eg:  I once had to play in a Schubertiade.  I was playing D. 946 Nr.1 and the rest of the pieces were vocal with piano.  The program was approxamately 1 hr in length.  The director decided to put me in the half way point as an interlude between all the songs.  It was quite an effective programming arrangement. 

Gershwins Three Preludes is the suite i am going to play. It is only a small venue concert atmosphere in a rather large music room. Other things on the program include pathetique-beethoven 1st movement and fantasie impromptu.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:28:15 AM
If that is the complete program I would put you in the middle.  The Pathetique is filled with passion.  The preludes would contrast well and give a change of atmposhere.  Fantasie Impromptu would be good after the Gershwin. 

If there is more, please post the complete program and we will see how well the other pieces may fit. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:55:04 AM
If that is the complete program I would put you in the middle.  The Pathetique is filled with passion.  The preludes would contrast well and give a change of atmposhere.  Fantasie Impromptu would be good after the Gershwin. 

If there is more, please post the complete program and we will see how well the other pieces may fit. 

I will tell you as and when i find out.

Offline Bouter Boogie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 06:53:53 AM
Perform as second perform is cool.. To perform as first person might get you more nervous than you are and to perform as last person sucks (my experience).. Second or middle is cool  :)
"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." - Maurice Ravel

Offline nicko124

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 11:18:29 AM
Perform as second perform is cool.. To perform as first person might get you more nervous than you are and to perform as last person sucks (my experience).. Second or middle is cool  :)

Yes but don't forget if you perorm last than your performance should be the most memorable as it is the last thing everyone hears.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert